PocketTactics.com’s Game of the Year, 2012
PocketTactics.com’s Multiplayer Game of the Year, 2012
VideoGameGeek.com’s Golden Geek Award, Best Mobile/Handheld game 2012
Gamezebo’s #1 Board/Card game of 2012
“An out-of-the-gate smash success.” – Gameshark.com
“I just keep playing this!” – Dicetower.com
“It was so much fun, it was all I could think about.” – Drakesflames.blogspot.com
Summoner Wars for iOS is a digital card game with all the tactical elements of a board game. Summoner Wars for iOS allows players to control the Phoenix Elves faction and battle against AI opponents or go online to play against others. Nine additional factions such as the Tundra Orcs, Guild Dwarves and Cave Goblins are available through the game’s in-app store. For those who wish to take the game to the next level, a deck-editor allows players to select the cards in their factions and reinforcements to build a custom deck to play with, within the confines of the rules. Changing cards can affect game play, making the game infinitely customizable.
A Playdek online account is required to play online.
Summoner Wars is a popular fantasy card game where players take on the role of a Summoner. Players cast spells and summon warriors to a battlefield and tactically maneuver them in an effort to defeat their opponent’s summoner. Summoner Wars offers many faction decks for players to choose from, like the precise Phoenix Elves, the hordes of Cave Goblins, or the righteous Vanguards. Each faction offers unique play and requires players to adapt to the special strategies available to that faction. Summoner Wars the card game was released in 2009 and has received critical acclaim from a variety of board game review sites.
• Phoenix Elves Faction and reinforcements included
• Factions and their reinforcement cards are included in a purchase
• 6 AI opponents
• 9 factions to purchase
• Mercenary Card pack to purchase
• Plaid Hat promo cards included in Mercenary Card pack
• Tutorial, Card Gallery and Rule Book
• Pass-and-play multiplayer (2 players)
• Asynchronous or real-time online play (2 players)
• Universal game application – buy once and play on all your devices
• Selectable Online game clocks
• Rematch button for online and offline matches
• “Next Game” button takes you to your next asynchronous online game
• iPhone / iPod 5 screen support
Find us on Facebook and Twitter! Playdek website: www.playdekgames.com
From Playdek, the award-winning publisher and developer
• D&D Lords of Waterdeep
• Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer (Golden Geek, 2011 – Boardgamegeek.com)
• Food Fight iOS
• Penny Arcade the Game: Gamers vs Evil
• Can’t Stop
- Fixed various bugs in the rules
Ratings and Reviews
It's a very fun game but severely limits what you can do for free :(
TERRIBLE port of a great game
Summoner Wars' rewarding gameplay and distinctive, balanced armies made it a hit. Sadly, this adaptation so utterly fails to exploit the advantages of the digital format that it feels like it was deliberately crippled to make the (much more expensive) physical version preferable. (The only improvement I noticed in this first update to the app was that highlights now use colors that are easier to see.)
- The game manual has been gutted, and is missing basic information. (The weird symbols on the dice mean "six", FYI.)
- Cards are blurry and hard to tell apart (even on the Retina iPad!). The obvious choice should have been to use symbols on the cards to indicate their special abilities with the full explanation text only appearing when the card is zoomed in, but instead Playdek somehow decided it was better to always show the cards as miniature, pixelated versions of the physical cards with their UTTERLY illegible text wasting precious screen space.
- Hand size is FIVE cards, there's plenty of space to show five, but only FOUR are shown (on my iPhone 4 - iPad shows all five) to make room for a "menu" button that could have easily been moved out of the way. (And needless to say in the frequent case that you have multiple copies of the same card in your hand, the app isn't smart enough to hide the duplicate.)
- When using an ability that allows you to recover certain cards from your discard pile, you have to manually dig through the unorganized discard pile to find the cards you're allowed to take.
- There's no dice roll animation, but you're forced to tap on them to continue.
- A special ability's name appears when it takes effect, but you can't tap on it to find out what it actually does.
- Can't look through a faction's event cards in the store, when you're deciding whether to buy them.
- Deck building is such a hideous MESS that it makes the actual battles seem slick in comparison. Instead of the industry standard of showing each type of card and how many copies you have in your deck, each copy is shown, and it's hard to tell where one group of card ends and the other begins because the cards are just shrunken versions of the physical ones with no modification for the tiny iPhone screen. And every possible add-on card is shown, including ones that you can't use because you haven't paid the extra real money for them yet. Classy!
Crashing whenever you start offline game. Disappointing to see this from playdek, their stuff is normally top notch.
- Playdek, Inc.
- 104.1 MB
Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2012 Plaid Hat Games, 2012 Playdek, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Everything Bundle 1 $10.99
- 9 Faction bundle + Mercenary Pack 1 $6.99
- 6 New Factions Bundle $5.49
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.