Wine Scanner & Expert Reviews 17+
Natalie MacLean’s Pro Ratings
Designed for iPad
Named Top Wine App by Chatelaine Magazine, Globe & Mail, National Post
Want to buy a great wine recommended by the World's Best Wine Writer? Get the only Wine App with built-in label and barcode scanners to instantly access expert wine reviews.
Natalie MacLean, World Food Media Awards winner, is your best friend when you’re shopping for wine, dining at restaurants or entertaining with friends.
Like a sommelier in your pocket, she's there with you to help choose the right wine at the right price every time.
Just point your camera at the front label or back barcode of any wine to get:
• Easy access professional, jargon-free wine reviews you can trust
• Instant search and sorting of 270,000 expert wine ratings
• Delicious new food pairings for every style of wine
• Quick recall of your wines in My Cellar, the app's cellar tracker software
• Fast way to add photos, labels and your own notes to My Cellar
Canadian Pricing and Product Availability
• Custom Shopping Lists you can sort by region, style, price
• Real-time inventory stock updates for Canadian liquor stores
• Pinpoint the closest Canadian store to you with the wines on your Shopping List
• Helpful alerts when the wines you like are back in stores with a new vintage
• Constant updates on which wines are on sale or have bonus Air Miles
• Expert guidance to find the top 10 wines by price, score or style
• Convenient ability to combine and track Opimian Wine Club wines with your liquor store purchases
• Proven tips for buying the best wines in:
BC Liquor Stores, BC VQA Stores, Everything Wine, Liquor Plus, Alberta liquor stores, SLC, MLCC, LCBO, Wine Rack, Wine Shop, SAQ, NSLC, ANBL, NF Liquor, PEILCC and other Canadian wine stores
• Exclusive access Natalie’s top wines for special occasions, gift-giving and dinner parties
• Effortless ways to share your favourite wines on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram
• Fun approach to discover what your friends are drinking
• Hundreds of entertaining wine videos and insider interviews with winemakers
For Natalie's free wine tips:
Note from Nat …
Howdy Wine Lovers,
I'm not able to address issues posted here, so please e-mail me if you have a feature to suggest or there's a bug to fix: email@example.com .
The new label scanner will improve with your help in adding new wines and labels. Let's make this app even better together!
This is a labour of love for me as a journalist: it has cost me personally more than $100,000 to create and keep updating this app ... so please be kind and patient ;)
P.S. Please upgrade your smartphone to Apple's most recent operating system (iOS) to optimize app performance. It's free to do this: apple.com/ios
Natalie MacLean is an independent Canadian journalist and author of the bestselling books "Red, White and Drunk All Over" and "Unquenchable" both published by Random House. She has won six International Association of Culinary Professional (IACP) awards and four James Beard Journalism Awards, including the MFK Fisher Distinguished Writing Award.
Video tips to get the most from the app:
Small changes and bug fixes. Vuforia library update.
Ratings and Reviews
First things first: Natalie is a phenomenal taster. I’ve never bought a high rated bottle that didn’t deserve the accolade. It is true, though, that you have to pay an annual subscription of about $30 to get much out of it.
More annoying is the heavy Ontario-centric basis of the app. Most of the top rosés are from Niagara, but BCL doesn’t sell ANYTHING from Ontario. The prices, too, are from LCBO (ie cheaper than BC) even though the BCL prices are online and the app knows where I am. Okanagan wines are under-represented, presumably because Natalie doesn’t encounter them in Ontario.
EDIT: I don’t know if the search function has been improved or I just missed it before, but you can search by varietal, country, etc. The label scanner is rubbish, as others have said, so that option seldom works. Using Top 10 plus the search function gets you where you need to go most of the time though.
It doesn't say in app purchases, but if you want anything you have to do a monthly subscription. Misleading. Moderately useful app information.
Most functions don’t work well
Doesn’t scan more than one wine in 5. Search is missing lots of wines that I’ve bought recently in Vintages in LCBO. Not really sure what the point is if it can’t do these basics.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Natalie McLean
- 80 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Natalie MacLean