macOS Server makes it easy to configure and monitor Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV devices and network storage volumes.
Here’s what you’ll get with macOS Server:
• Mobile device management for iOS, macOS, and tvOS devices
• Distribution of institution licensed apps and books purchased from the Volume Purchase Program to users or devices
• Install Software Updates on devices running iOS 12 and mac OS 10.14
• Device Enrollment Program integration
• Web-based administration console
• Self-service user portal for clearing passcodes, remote lock, and remote wipe
• Block-level SAN file sharing with concurrent read/write access
• Xsan volume hosting and configuration
• Volume management, storage pooling, striping, and volume mapping
• Real-time monitoring, graphs, and event notifications
• Metadata controller failover and file system journaling
• Local and remote management
• Users and group settings
• View real-time graphs of server usage
• Receive alerts on network changes, certificate expiration, storage usage, and more
Some features require an Apple ID and/or compatible Internet access; additional fees and terms apply. Some features require program enrollment. Some features are not available in all countries.
- Automated Device Enrollment: Skip Restore Completed and Update Completed panes in Setup Assistant
- Install non-removable managed apps
- Exchange ActiveSync: Override previous password
- Network Usage Rules: Configure SIM rules
- Notifications: Allow Notification previews on lock screen
- Restrictions: Allow App Clips
- WiFi: Disable association MAC randomization
- Include eSIM Identifier "EID" in device info
- Education: Allow configuring only Shared iPad login window, not
- Shared iPad: Manage quota-based users
- Shared iPad: Disable temporary sessions
- Configure Auto Advance
- Automated Device Enrollment: Skip Accessibility pane in Setup Assistant, show Server Activation Lock Bypass Code in device security info
- Install managed apps
- Account Configuration: Managed local user short name
- Associated Domains: Enable direct downloads
- Content Caching: Auto-enable tethered caching, send ContentCachingInformation command
- Restrictions: Allow apps to get file provider info, Defer app updates
- VPN: Configure new system extension and network configuration keys
- Set time zone on supervised devices
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Pretty much worthless now except for Network user accounts
Server app has for me at least, become increasingly useless.
It still is the easiest way to manage network user accounts.
However, in High Sierra both Caching Control and File Sharing have been moved out of the Server App. It was just easier to manage everything in one place. Even if there’s no need.
Why not leave well enough alone?
OS X, despite the light node with the iMac Pro continues it’s trend away from an Operating System towards a giant iPad.
Well as of 5.6.1 there really is no point in using macOS Server.
Apple has effectively lobotomized it and provided links to ‘other’ options.
If there were any question wether Apple is enterprise friendly or not, update 5.6.1 answers provides a clear answer to that.
Use to be a 5 star App
The reason our company uses higher priced Macs is because it "was" designed to keep the technolgy out of our way so we can focus on our work. Server App had all the essentials from a company we trusted. Update after update this app kept losing features and we were told to change our services to 3rd party apps. So now I have to spend my time worry about high end security in regards to VPN, FTP, etc... instead of working. Why am I paying more for Macs again? I don't care if they ask for money each year to keep maintaining this app but the services that were there need to be put back!!!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Canada, Inc.
- 79.2 MB
- Requires macOS 10.16 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Apple Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.