If you love something, set it free, or so the saying goes. Pocket Casts has been a paid app since 2010 when it first launched. Back then we had a small company to run and people's families literally depended on us charging for our app. It was a business model that worked well in terms of paying the bills, but always caused confusion with our customers. "Do I have to pay again if I switch from a robot phone to a fruit based one?", "Why is the app paid?", "How can I recommend this to friends when it will require them to pay?".
Today, things are different. We have the backing of some amazing partners, all of whom come from, and firmly believe in, an open access model. For a while now we've felt that charging for the app conflicted with their core values of being open and available to everyone. Clearly we had to do something about it, and so in the spirit of Shifty Jelly of yore, we did. After many months of hard work, we introduce you to version 7.5!
If you want a detailed write up on everything that's changing and why it's changing please visit our blog (blog.pocketcasts.com). We'd love to share some highlights on here though:
- The app is now completely free, and every feature previously available in the paid version is still available in the free version.
- We've introduced a completely optional premium tier: Pocket Casts Plus. Among other benefits, Plus members get exclusive access to new themes and icons.
- You can now import your own audio files into Pocket Casts and listen to them sped up and with silences removed. Plus members can also upload these files to the cloud so they are available on all your devices.
- Improved account control. You can now do things like change your email and password inside the app, without having to go to the web.
- Performance enhancements and fixes. We spent a large part of this release focussing on performance and usability, tweaking and honing the app to make it our most refined release yet.
We hope you'll join us on this next stage of our journey. To all of you who haven't told a friend about us because our app was paid, now's your chance!
Ratings and Reviews
Used to love Pocket Casts. Now bad syching when using Sonos plugin. Web player not showing all episodes in progress (history not working). All problems started when the new Archive episode feature was implemented. Had to find something else (big Web player user). Sad... Hope Pocket Casts will return to the basics. Multi device stable and efficient synching is a MUST for all podcast apps. See you maybe in a few years, who knows...
Usability nightmare... for no good reason
I’ve used pocket casts for years as a paying customer, and loved it — until the redesign. Now the most simple things, like marking an episode as “played”, require confusing gestures and interactions. I’ve counted at least three distinct ways to mark something as “played”, all available in different contexts. Swipe this way, no, that way, oh wait, no, it’s the other way. It’s a complete nightmare. Interacting with this app is now like trying to find your way through a maze in complete darkness. If that wasn’t bad enough it also freezes, crashes, and syncing is often unreliable. The previous version was fantastic — it was my favourite app. Now I despise it. I’m furious at the developers for ruining something that was so great. Such a disappointment.
Redesign is difficult
The app seems quite complicated and but intuitive anymore.
- Podcast Media, LLC
- 75.1 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 9+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © Podcast Media LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Plus Yearly $12.99
- Plus Monthly $1.29
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.