Facilitating Indigenous self-determination in research, education and stewardship, SIKU is a mobile app and web platform by and for Inuit which provides tools and services for ice safety, weather forecasting, language preservation and knowledge transfer.
As the only social media platform putting Indigenous rights first, SIKU is a safe space for sharing and mobilizing Indigenous knowledge.
SIKU helps document the data that has always formed the basis for Indigenous knowledge and mobilize it for use in community-based monitoring, Guardians Programs and self-determination in research, education and environmental stewardship.
3. Intellectual Property
No one can use your data without permission. Intellectual property ownership is maintained through an informed data stewardship framework.
- Push notifications - get notified when your posts are liked or commented on
- Display and contribute to ice types and wildlife species in multiple Inuktut dialects
- Support for the SIKU + SmartICE 2021 Ice Watch - added Ice Watch stewardship, profile, feed and map
- Fixed issues when posting comments
- Addressed sort order of profiles
- Comments can be reported and deleted
- Streamlined picker component
- Updated Goose Watch profile
- Refactored how the about tab of profiles is shown
- Other bug fixes and improvements
- Updated Dangerous Ice Icon
Ratings and Reviews
Great job on the misleading names for Iqaluit area and further out, and you guys should never change the names on the land there’s a lot of place where you guys changed the names, if a hunter breaks down and gives the wrong name using the app how are people supposed to find him/her? 0 stars for this app it’s garbage
Developer Response ,
We are very sorry that the traditional place names near Iqaluit are not what you were expecting. As an Indigenous charity, we take data integrity very seriously, especially when it involves Indigenous Knowledge. In this case, our Traditional Place Names for Nunavut come from the official Inuit Heritage Trust source. If you would like to provide comments or corrections on any of these place names, please reach out to email@example.com and we would be happy help. Additionally, on the SIKU.org website, users can comment on place names which can then be reviewed for inclusion in future updates. Nakumik.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Arctic Eider Society, The
- 173 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Arctic Eider Society
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.