SkySafari 6 Pro will revolutionize your astronomical viewing experience. It has the largest database of any astronomy app, includes every solar system object ever discovered, offers unparalleled accuracy, flawless telescope control, and provides the very best experience under the stars when you depend on it. Discover why SkySafari 6 Pro is the #1 recommended astronomy software for serious amateur astronomers since 2009.
Here's what's new in version 6:
1) Complete support for MacOS. We got you covered and release regular updates.
2) Clouds and Astronomy. Two words that rarely go together. Rewritten from the ground up, SkySafari 6 Pro will (optionally) back up all of your observing data in our secure cloud storage and make it easily accessible to multiple devices as well as from our new web interface, LiveSky.com.
3) We Have The Best Stars. Precise, modern and deep. We’ve updated our star catalog to use the latest and greatest, UCAC5 star catalog. If 25 million stars down to 15th magnitude isn’t enough for you, an easy in-app purchase gets you down to 16.5 magnitude and a whopping 100 million stars!
4) We Have The Best Galaxies. The PGC catalog includes galaxies down to 18th magnitude. Want more galaxies? How about 2.6 million more? An in-app purchase gives you access to the largest galaxy database available for your device.
5) Observers First. A redesign of our tools puts the active observer first. Quick access to features like your equipment, observing sites, lists, and observations make it easy and enjoyable to get out, observe, and record your observations. The observing sessions feature lets you collect your observations into groups that span a few hours, or a few nights.
6) Graph It. The completely new graph tool will give a quick visual representation of an object’s altitude above the horizon. Essential for planning your night’s observations.
7) Plan It. Make the most of your time under the stars. Our updated planner is a powerful tool that lets you create a list of targets for your observing session with filters like object types, specific time ranges, constellation, catalog, and more. Plan it and get more done.
8) Share It. SkySafari 6 is more than just an app, it’s a new system to help organize and share your observing experiences. With a free signup, you can see and share your observing data from our web portal, LiveSky.com! Affordable premium memberships add online editing, so you can not only view, but edit your observations, add new observing sites, manage your equipment and more. Finally, you can view, edit and manage your settings files with SkySafari Web, our fully functional web version.
If you haven't used SkySafari 6 Pro before, here's what you can do with it:
• SkySafari 6 Pro will find stars, constellations, planets, and more! The star chart has been designed for the ultimate stargazing experience.
• Simulate the night sky up to 10,000 years in the past or future! Animate meteor showers, conjunctions, eclipses, and other celestial events.
• Control your telescope, log and plan your observations.
• Night Vision.
• Orbit Mode. Leave the Earth’s surface behind, and fly through our solar system.
• Galaxy View shows the position of deep sky objects in our Milky Way!
• Much more!
Fixed crash when importing Observing Lists.
Ratings and Reviews
I cannot say enough good things about this app, having already praised the iOS version to high heaven. Simply put, if you love the stars, you will love this app. I spend hours and hours on it inspired by both the science it offers and as an extension of the personal connection I feel with the night sky. Finding it on sale motivated me to go pro. It is great to see the constellations on a bigger screen. This app is a wonderful place to set an anchor in the interstellar medium and get to know personally, the history and layout, of the entire stellar matrix we are a part of. It inspires with astronomy and astrophysics yet is quite accessible to any amateur. Most of my observing is naked eye or big binoculars, as I have yet to acquire a computer controlled telescope, but when I do, I will be ready, having had plenty of experience with sky safari 6 pro. To put it another way a decent globe of the night sky costs 100 dollars, a small, bright star atlas, about 20 dollars, and larger ones cost much more. So given the vast amount of real time data and information the sky safari apps have to offer (data that wasn’t even available a short time ago) these apps are a good value. Hey if you know a younger person interested in astronomy, astrophysics or even astrology buy them this app. You will change their life and possibly benefit future generations at the same time. I love it.
I have been using this app since its release, and must say its the best. I can link through my Nexus II hardware to guide my dobsonian - its super accurate. I use it on my laptop to pick targets and plan my night of observations. Finally it can link through ASI air pro to "talk" to my mount and iPad for instant go to during AP sessions. Just an awesome addition to the tool pile.
After the latest update on July 15 I cannot get this app to load. Every time I open in it becomes non-responsive and I need to use “force quit” to close it. I have waited over 5 minutes wist still no response. I have reported this to Apple so unless they can fix this problem I would like a refund.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Simulation Curriculum Corp.
- 2.7 GB
- Requires macOS 10.10 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2009-2020 Simulation Curriculum Corp. All Rights Reserved.
- In-App Purchases
- PGC Extension Database
- Interactive H-R Diagram
- Apollo Lunar Missions
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.