Sunless Sea was made for long winter nights - Enjoy zailing from the safety of your couch this holiday season!
LOSE YOUR MIND. EAT YOUR CREW. DIE.
Failbetter’s award-winning PC game is now on iOS! Take the helm of your steamship and set sail for the unknown. Sunless Sea is a game of discovery, loneliness and frequent death, set in the award-winning Victorian Gothic universe of Fallen London.
If the giant crabs, sentient icebergs and swarms of bats don’t get you, madness and cannibalism certainly will. But that old black ocean beckons, and there’s loot for the brave souls who dare to sail her.
Betray your crew, sell your soul to a Devil, marry your sweetheart. Survive long enough and you’ll achieve your life’s ambition.
You will die, but your legacy will live on…
- A deep, compelling world packed with 350,000+ words of stories and secrets. Find your father’s bones. Determine London’s destiny. Defy the gods of the deep sea.
- Beautiful, hand drawn art: castles of sparkling ice, prisons perched on lily pads, fog-shrouded lighthouses and the DAWN MACHINE.
- Your captain will die. But you can pass on resources from one generation to the next. Acquire a family home and a hoard of heirlooms. Build up your own story across generations of zailors who braved the sea and lost - or won...
- Real-time combat against ships and Zee-beasts, spider-crewed dreadnoughts and sentient icebergs.
- Light and dark, terror and madness: stray too far from the gas-lamps of civilisation and your crew will grow fearful and eventually lose their sanity.
- Upgrade your steamship with powerful engines, cannons and pneumatic torpedo guns. (Or buy a bigger, better ship.)
- Hire unique officers like the Haunted Doctor and the Irrepressible Cannoneer. Each has a story to tell, if you can draw it out of them.
- Choose a ship’s mascot: the Comatose Ferret, the Wretched Mog, the Elegiac Cockatoo, and more!
- Trade or smuggle silk and souls, mushroom wine and hallucinogenic honey.
- “Absolutely the best writing in any video game since, well, as long as I can remember.” (10/10 – PCGamesN)
- “A very compelling and satisfying adventure... The realm of possibilities seems endless, and every time I set sail I find something new.” (9/10 – Destructoid)
- “Sunless Sea's method of storytelling isn't unique, but it has never been realised with such impact and elegance.” (10/10 – Eurogamer)
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- storylets now showing in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen now fixed
- fuel bar no longer resets to 0 after loading manual save
- no Zubmariner-specific ports should now appear on the chart
Ratings and Reviews
A Comprehensive Review
TL;DR: This is an amazing game. I tottaly recommend it, even though the price is somewhat high. The gameplay time and replayability of this game is golden and definitely worth the high price IMO. (I paid $60 for CIV VI when it came out for iPad. I might just be a big spend guy.) [TAP READ MORE!]
- Gameplay -
Sunless Sea excels in its stories and quests, but lacks a lot in zee travel possibilities. Storylets you get at ports are exciting and fun, but taking multiple minutes of your time to travel from island to island is not, at least most of the time.
- Lore & Quests -
The lore of Sunless Sea is one of the best that I have played so far! It is hands-down a perfectly crafted literary masterpiece, and probably deserves a book. I recommend playing Fallen London (it works decent on iPad too!) to get a good look at the lore and backstory.
- Miscellaneous -
1. Please add the Zubmariner DLC, preferably for free. (:D)
2. Improve battery life, this game is literally Google Chrome.
3. Sunless Skies on iPad? Wink, wink? Pretty please?
A review by Josef Leventon.
If you’re a fan of horror and great writing this game has both in spades. It requires some patience and isn’t your typical mobile game but you won’t be disappointed! Would be nice to have the DLC.
This game is confusing and poorly made, the help and tutorial provided are completely useless, the game looks way cooler than it is.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Failbetter Games Ltd
- 534.3 MB
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2009 Failbetter Games Ltd
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.