Teach Your Monster to Read is an award-winning phonics and reading game that’s helped millions of children learn to read.
• Parents have seen significant improvements in their children’s literacy within weeks
• Teachers claim it’s a wonderful and captivating classroom tool that helps their students learn to read
• Kids love making their monster and teaching it read. They learn through play.
Children create a monster and take it on a magical journey over three extensive games - meeting a host of colourful characters along the way and improving their reading skills as they progress.
• Covers the first two years of learning to read, from matching letters and sounds to enjoying little books.
• Designed in collaboration with leading academics and game designers.
• Complements all synthetic phonics programmes used in schools.
• Suitable for school and home use.
• Includes all 3 games! First Steps, Fun With Words and Champion Reader!
The game is rigorous and works with any phonics scheme so it’s perfect for use in school and at home. It’s developed in collaboration with leading academics at the University of Roehampton.
The app is commonly used in preschool, primary school, kindergarten and first grade as an interactive teaching resource.
PART OF THE USBORNE FOUNDATION - PROCEEDS GO TO OUR CHARITY
Teach Your Monster to Read has been created by Teach Monster Games Ltd. which is a subsidiary of The Usborne Foundation. The Usborne Foundation is a charity founded by children’s publisher, Peter Usborne MBE. Harnessing research, design and technology, we create playful media addressing issues from literacy to health. Funds raised from the game go back into the charity, to help us become sustainable and build new projects.
• Complements Phases 2-5 of UK Government-approved Letters and Sounds and other major systematic synthetic phonics programmes.
• Absolutely no in-app purchases, hidden costs or in-game adverts. Perfect for kids!
• Suitable for ages 3-6.
• Designed in collaboration with reading experts from Roehampton University.
• Available on iPad and iPhone.
REVIEWS FROM TEACHERS AND PARENTS
"This game is the absolute best quality phonics game I have come across for educational and fun value."
Marie Lewis, Rochdale
“My class have reaped loads of benefits from using the programme and the difference in some of their reading skills has been dramatic."
Maria Andrews, Foundation Phase Teacher
"This is a fabulous game. I'm not kidding when I say that my daughter essentially learned all her letter sounds using First steps, with relatively minimal input from me! Great for parents to practise their letter sounds too."
Teach Monster Games Ltd is a subsidiary of The Usborne Foundation, a registered charity in England and Wales, charity number 1121957.
We've made improvements for you. Keep your reviews coming!
• Collectable stars can now be transferred between games. Save them up or spend them in the shop!
• Words are now easier to hear! We know that there can be a whole load of background noise in the home or classroom whilst playing, so we've made the words louder and clearer.
• Help messages have been made a bit clearer and, well... more helpful
We love to read your success stories and we want to know what you’d like added to the game, so please leave a review. As a charity with a mission to improve children's literacy, we want to make this game as great as it can possibly be.
Ratings and Reviews
App is good depending on how the developer responds?
My son loves this app and it's hard to get it away from him. However, as he was playing he stopped to use the washroom and came back and found that all his stars had disappeared. He is on level 3 and had over 1000 stars as he was saving up to buy stuff from the store. Only to come back and find 94 stars and all 31 'Trixies' gone. Is there anything that can be done to fix this. Could it be a glitch in the app? Please advise at your earliest convenience.
Developer Response ,
Hi, we're delighted to hear how much your son loves the app, but we're sorry to hear about him losing his stars as they didn't carry over to the third game. It sounds like he'd just begun the third game, right? This is a known issue related to carrying stars from the earlier games into the third game, and we're going to fix this very soon - hopefully in the next update. We'll also make the trickies carry over into the third game too, but this will take a bit longer.
We would like to credit your son with his stars that he had collected. In order for us to do this, we'll need some details. If you're logging in via a player account created on the web, please can you send your user email address and player name to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you're just playing on the app (and haven't created an account on our website), please can you send your app id to us, which can be located in the app's settings (tap the cog wheel) and let us know the player name too.
Please tell your son that we're sorry that his stars have gone missing and that we are trying to get these back to him really soon.
User-friendly effective learning tool
Love this app! My grade 1 students progressed so well with their reading, using the web version at school, and many chose to purchase the app to continue at home. They returned to the games again and again. Thank you.
Developer Response ,
That's great to hear, thanks for letting us know! Alex
My first grader is enjoying this app a lot! We live in Japan so I’ve been struggling to teach him to read on my own. This has made reading a bit more fun, and slowly he’s starting to try reading on his own. The one downside is I didn’t realize this app was developed in the UK, and as we are Canadian English speakers some of the sounds are different (for example, one activity asks the player to find all the “or” sounds, which includes the “ur” in “pure” which is not the same sound for us). I did buy it in the Canadian iTunes though.
Developer Response ,
Hi Meghan, thanks for the review, we're delighted to hear how the game has helped your son with learning to read. Thanks, Alex
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.