"Head and shoulders above the crowd is The Photographer’s Ephemeris. Odd name, great app." - National Geographic
"One of the most useful apps for any nature photographer" - Outdoor Photographer Magazine
"It worked perfectly. The program was dead on…" - National Geographic
"One of the most powerful photography applications that I've seen, one that you'll be using for years and years." - AdoramaTV
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) helps plan outdoor photography shoots in natural light, particularly landscape and urban scenes. It's a map-centric Sun, Moon and Milky Way calculator: see how the light will fall on the land, day or night, for any location on earth.
Whether you need at-a-glance information on today's sun, moon and Milky Way data for your current location, or need to plan a precise alignment of the full moon for a future shoot, TPE has the tools you need. The combination of augmented reality, line-of-sight analysis and visual search supports the most sophisticated photo planning needs.
Night mode features a 3D representation of the Milky Way, pole stars and major constellations directly over the map, so you can easily visualise exactly how to align your shot.
Research and save your own list of favourite photographic locations, using seven different map types (including two offline maps) and save them in your locations list. Favourite locations are always displayed right there on the map.
Advanced features including visual sun and moon search, automatic time zone and elevation detection, correction for atmospheric refraction and height above the horizon, ensuring that you have the best possible information for planning your shoot.
You can even determine when the sun or moon will rise from behind nearby hills and mountains.
- Time/direction of sun, moon, and galactic centre rise/set
- View azimuth and altitude of sun/moon and the galactic centre for any time of day/night
- Milky Way, stars and asterisms visualisation via 3D map overlay
- Moon phase and % illumination
- Civil, nautical and astronomical twilight
- 2 topographic maps
- 2 offline map types
- Movable map pins: drag and drop the pin exactly where you need it
- Map autorotation using the compass (on compatible devices)
- Shadow lengths displayed to scale on map
- Save any location you want: no fixed lists
- Celestial events including moon phases, apogee, perigee, solstice, equinox
- Network connection not required for rise/set time, azimuths and sun/moon position
- Augmented reality view for on location scouting
- Saved location synchronisation between devices and the free TPE web app
- Automatic time zone detection
- Elevation above sea level
- Distance, bearing and elevation angle between any two points
- Location import/export from KML
- Magnetic north option
- Configurable timeline display
- Sun/moon transit times
- 'Golden hour' time/duration
- Light pollution overlay
- Line of sight analysis
- Find when the sun/moon will appear from behind a hill or ridge
- Advanced visual sun and moon search
- Azimuth or altitude search priority
- New crescent moon visibility
- Distance to the visible horizon
Available map types include:
- Standard, Satellite/Hybrid, Terrain
- OpenCycleMap Topographic
Sunrise/sunset color forecasts are available (covering lower 48, southern Canada and Europe) with a subscription to the Skyfire service, available via in-app purchase.
- Maps and elevation-based calculations require a data connection, except for offline map tiles previously downloaded and stored on your device
- Availability of map types is subject to change, due to 3rd party map service availability, terms or conditions
- Augmented reality requires an iPhone 6s (or later), iPad Pro or 2017 model and iOS 11 or later
- Fix: lower right of map below control tray buttons recognises touch gestures again on iPhone (regression in 4.6)
Please send your feedback and suggestions to email@example.com - we'd love to hear from you.
If you're enjoying TPE, a review on the App Store is really helpful, and lets us keep improving the app.
Ratings and Reviews
Invaluable planning tool
TPE and the new TPE 3D app are invaluable tools to help plan photo shoots and pick locations for nightscape images. I use them all the time.
Excellent app for photographers
My go to source for photographing sites around the world to make sure I get the best light
It Does what it says.
Does what it says. Stable and it is exact. I am very happy with this app. Good buy for the money.
- Crookneck Consulting LLC
- 60.7 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010 – 2019 Crookneck Consulting LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Skyfire (3-months) $13.99
- Skyfire (1-year) $39.99
- Skyfire Plus (3-months) $20.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.