Think Dirty is the easiest way to learn about the potentially toxic ingredients in your cosmetics and personal care products. It’s an independent source that allows you to compare products as you shop. Just scan the product barcode and Think Dirty will give you easy-to-understand info on the product, track dirty ingredients, and shop for cleaner options.
• Barcode Scanning: Over 850,000 cosmetics and personal care products majority from Canada and the U.S. are currently in our database.
• Dirty Meter®: A comprehensive rating is given, along with detailed (but easy-to-understand) information on ingredients, certifications, and health impacts.
• My Bathroom Rating: Keep track of what’s already in your bathroom. Learn your current bathroom rating, and track your progress on “cleaning” it up.
• Shopping Lists: Save products to make shopping faster and easier.
• Shop Now: Buy products directly from Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, Well.ca, Sephora.com, Amazon.co.uk.
• UPC Submission: Are we missing a product? Use your device's camera to scan its barcode and capture the list of ingredients with OCR, then submit it to us. For registered users who submit products, we thank you and will notify you once they are in our database.
As mentioned in:
Bloomberg, New York Times, O Magazine, Today's Show, NPR, Fast Company, Huffington Post, TED Blog, Allure Magazine, The Atlantic, PSFK, New York Magazine, Buzzfeed, Consumer Reports ShopSmart Magazine, Global News, Toronto Star, City TV, CTV, App Central, Brit + Co, Refinery 29, Telegraph, The Guardian, Design Taxi
"What changed my routine and really my life is the Think Dirty app." - Ruby Rose
25+ Apps To Make Your Everyday Life Easier – TED Blog
7 New Beauty Apps You Need to Download Now – Allure Magazine
26 Underrated Apps Every Twentysomething Should Download Right Now – BuzzFeed
The Beauty And Fashion Apps You Need To Download, ASAP – Glamour Magazine UK
“It helps me make informed choices on products that I am bringing home.”
– TED Blog Staff, Kyle Shearer
"Tse's quest for greater transparency is personal. Her mother is a breast cancer survivor, so she's sensitive to hidden dangers in the products around us."
– Fast Co. Exist
"Think Dirty miiiight be the best app ever" – Grist
"Buying safe cosmetics has never been easier." – Ecouterre
"Brilliant idea: 'Think Dirty' app tells you the ingredients in your cosmetics."
– Inside.com Jason Calacanis
"Think Dirty is an app that makes figuring out exactly what you’re slathering on your face, lips, bod (and, yikes, then washing down the drain) as easy as snapping a picture."
– Brit + Co.
"An App That Helps You Find the Safest Make-up."
– The Atlantic
"With a tool like Think Dirty, consumers can help find and promote good companies that are using nontoxic ingredients. You shouldn’t have to be a toxicologist to know how to find safer products."
– Janet Nudelman, Campaign for Safe Cosmetics
"I love knowing the health impact of what's on my bathroom shelf. Every consumer of beauty products needs this free app"
– Karina Birch, Founder of Rocky Mountain Soap
As a small team, we are working diligently to accommodate the overwhelmingly positive amount of users' submissions (especially from our international users) to our database.
We appreciate constructive feedback. Please email us at email@example.com if you have comments or suggestions.
- Submitting products is even easier: Use your device's camera to instantly capture the list of ingredients on product packaging with OCR
- Various bug fixes and improvements
Ratings and Reviews
All I can say is wow! I scanned some of my products and most of them scored high on the dirty level. I didn't realize just how much junk is in that stuff. I plan on swapping some of my products for cleaner ones recommended in the app.
No useful in the real world
I have had cosmetic allergies, so I was excited to hear about “Think Dirty “ However I found it very disappointing. It seems to only promote on line expensive cosmetics. Very few drug store or everyday brands are in the app even common ones like Nivea and others at average prices are not in the app. If I do put them in with the submit process there is no way to tell when or if products are annualized or add to the app. Less the 25% of every day products are in the app so if you need products day to day at a reasonable price this is not the app you want.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for your kind review and we are so sorry that you couldn’t find the info that you needed. If you scan a particular product and it doesn't show, try to do a generic manual search of that product. UPC codes can differ for countries as well. We cross-reference ingredient information with lists of prohibited ingredients from government and non-profit health and environmental groups. We take the health impacts of cosmetics seriously, so if there’s enough evidence showing that even a single ingredient is unsafe, it will be listed as “Dirty” on the “Dirty Meter”. So we promote products according to ratings based on our own interpretations rather than price.
Good concept but needs improvement
Scan did not work.. many products are missing
- Think Dirty Inc.
- 99.2 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © All trademarks are registered for Think Dirty Inc.
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.