Voice Dream Reader is a text-to-speech reader that turns any document and ebook into audio. Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries including the United States and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- Bookshare Books.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- Scan paper documents with the camera for text-to-speech.
- State-of-the-art A.I. is fast and accurate, even in poor lighting conditions.
- Works entirely on device: No need for internet and your data stays private.
- Only languages using Latin alphabets are currently supported.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Recognize text for scanned PDF documents.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Automicatically skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive
- Updated to Bookshare V2, which features curated collections, reading lists and assignments.
- Brand new Bookshare user interface that includes sorting, filtering, and improvements for iPads.
- Improved Google Drive, Dropbox, and Evernote access.
- Added context menu for the library. To access context menu, tap the document and hold.
- Added a new font: Atkinson Hyperlegible developed by Braille Institute. The bold version of this font has proved to be highly effective for people with low vision.
Ratings and Reviews
Best reading app for IOS, second place is of academic interest
It just works. The best thing that can be said about any app which exists to give access to information is that it works and you can forget it. That applies here, you can just forget that this app is there and read your book/article/text/whatever. It is one of the main reasons I use the phone.
I've been using Voice Dream for several years now and absolutely love it. I use it daily. I love how it connects with Pocket. Every day I add a dozen or more articles from the web to Pocket - and then listen to them using the app. It's brilliant! I've tried many text-to-speech apps and this is easily the best I know of. I share the opinion of the Forbes reviewer in calling it one of the best finds of my educational career.
5 years and counting
I'm so picky about text-to-speech reading that I was using a 10-year-old, clunky reading device until I was finally convinced to switch to this app. The only extremely nitpicky thing I wish it included is a word count. It knows how many words are in a book, and uses that number to calculate how long TTS will take to read it. I want to see that number too!🥺
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Voice Dream LLC
- 144 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2021 Voice Dream LLC
- In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $6.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice) $6.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $6.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.