2021 Apple Design Award Winner! Voice Dream Reader lets you listen to any document and ebook using text-to-speech. Featured by Apple as Best New App and App of the Day in 81 countries and part of App Store Permanent Collections in Education.
“This app is one of the best educational finds of my entire career.” - Forbes
“As a user myself and as a mother of a child with dyslexia, I am blown away by the features of Voice Dream.” - Quartz
“Voice Dream Reader is hailed by many as the best mobile text-to-speech (TTS) app.” - Examiner
- One premium Acapela voice of your choice free with the purchase of the app.
- 36 built-in iOS voices in 27 languages are also available for free.
- 200+ additional premium voices in 30 languages from Acapela, NeoSpeech and Ivona available through in-app purchases.
- Correct pronunciation with your own pronunciation dictionary.
- All voices work offline and play in the background even with the screen locked.
Supported Document Formats
- PDF, Plain text, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, RTF, and Google Docs.
- Web articles.
- Bookshare Books.
- EPUB eBooks. (DRM-free books only. Kindle, iBooks and most commercial eBook platforms are not supported.)
- DAISY text-based books and audiobook.
- Audiobooks in MP3, MP4 or zipped MP3 format.
- Rich text and image support for all documents.
- Scan paper documents with the camera for text-to-speech.
- State-of-the-art A.I. is fast and accurate, even in poor lighting conditions.
- Works entirely on device: No need for internet and your data stays private.
- Only languages using Latin alphabets are currently supported.
- Tee-up a list of articles and play while you drive, walk or run.
- Spoken word is highlighted to improve comprehension and retention.
- Auto-scrolling and full screen, distraction-free mode to help reader focus.
- Finger reading. For beginners to read by at running a finger under each word.
- Pac-Man. Harvard and MIT developed speed-reading method for everyone to read at 2x speed with no loss of comprehension.
- High contrast and large font size for low vision readers.
- Optimized for VoiceOver, Braille and switch control.
- Recognize text for scanned PDF documents.
- Bookmarking, text highlighting and annotation. Highlights and notes can be exported.
- Full-text search.
- Built-in dictionary.
- Automicatically skip text in PDF header and footer.
- Native support for Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, Pocket, Instapaper and Evernote.
- Native access to Bookshare.
- Safari extension to save Web pages and Web addresses.
- Support for Box and OneDrive via iOS Document Picker.
- Your entire library, including folders, reading locations, bookmarks and annotations are synchronized across all your devices using iCloud Drive
- Fixed pronunciation bug for some PDF documents.
Ratings and Reviews
I've been using Voice Dream for several years now and absolutely love it. I use it daily. I love how it connects with Pocket. Every day I add a dozen or more articles from the web to Pocket - and then listen to them using the app. It's brilliant! I've tried many text-to-speech apps and this is easily the best I know of. I share the opinion of the Forbes reviewer in calling it one of the best finds of my educational career.
Best reading app for IOS, second place is of academic interest
It just works. The best thing that can be said about any app which exists to give access to information is that it works and you can forget it. That applies here, you can just forget that this app is there and read your book/article/text/whatever. It is one of the main reasons I use the phone.
Use it all the time
I use this app mostly in the car or on the way to work while I’m walking. I get it to read my newsletters, books, random links or emails that I get.
The turning point for me was when I figured out how to use the send from browser feature. On the browser click share (box with an arrow) and then select voice dream from the list. If not there you have to click more to add it.
Honestly there should be a video for this.
I also used it to read my emails, but there I have select the whole text and copy it in. Some newsletters have the view as HTML in a browser button but the ones that don’t, it makes it hard. I wish there was a feature similar to Things app, where I just forward to an email and pops up in the app.
Anyways, thanks for the app and the hard work.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Voice Dream LLC
- 140.2 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Voice Dream LLC
- In-App Purchases
- James (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $6.99
- Salli (Ivona US English Voice) $6.99
- Paul (NeoSpeech US English Voice) $6.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.