Based on the book from Renegade Arts Entertainment and re-imagined for the iPad by the National Film Board of Canada, this immersive interactive graphic novel brings history to life.
The Loxleys and the War of 1812 follows a fictional family from Upper Canada torn apart by the conflict with the United States some 200 years ago.
Experience this key event in Canada’s history through journal entries, letters and beautifully animated, historically accurate illustrations by a team of award-winning comic book artists.
- 80 pages of illustrations
- captivating cinematic soundtrack
- interactive map that pinpoints the action
- educational study guide available on nfb.ca/1812/guide
- comic written by Alan Grant
- pencils and inks by Claude St. Aubin
- letters by Todd Klein
- colours by Lovern Kindzierski
- historical research by Mark Zuehlke
Produced by the National Film Board of Canada in partnership with the Department of Canadian Heritage.
- iOS8 support
- 64-bit support
- added links to music credits
- fixed scaling issues on some panels
- fixed rendering issues on some panels
Ratings and Reviews
A Great Book
It is a very accurate and awesome book. This book tells everything about the war of 1812. Since I knew nothing about the war of 1812, I can't say that this book is not missing any data. This book puts it in the Canadian/UK perspective.
Not sure why anyone would give this a lesser rating. A FREE app that is timely, thoughtful and artistic.
Terrific graphic novel
This graphic novel is great. I love the background music that constantly keeps changing to reflect the mood of the story. This is exactly how a digital graphic novel should be done.
- National Film Board / Office national du film
- 307.2 MB
Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPad.
English, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2012-2015 The National Film Board of Canada
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.