- UK Voice included! -
Word Wizard offers several unique reading and spelling activities for children ages four to 10:
• A talking Movable Alphabet that allows kids to experiment with phonics and word building thanks to the advanced text to speech engine.
• 3 spelling activities that increase in difficulty
• 184 built-in word lists (about 1800 words)
• Add your own words to create unique spelling quizzes
• Keep tabs on your children’s progress with detailed reports
• "Speak ‘N Spell for the iPad Generation" - The New York Times
• Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - Children's Technology Review
• Winner of a Parents’ Choice Award
• Featured by Apple as 'New and Noteworthy' for iPad and iPhone, and in ‘Apps For Learning to Write’ & 'Apps for Kids'
• Used in US Schools (60K units sold to schools)
• More than 240K Units downloaded !
Talking Movable Alphabet Activity
• Pronounce and spell check any word, number or sentence
• Natural Sounding Voice - three American voices, one British voice and one Australian voice
• Letter sound (phonic) or name when a letter is touched in the alphabet
• Alphabetic or Qwerty Keyboard
• 4 keyboards available: letters, numbers, consonant digraphs (like “th”) and vowels digraphs (like “oo”)
• Uppercase or lowercase letters
• Keyboard emulation option (dragging letters is optional)
• 4 letter sizes available (allowing for more or less letters on the board)
• Voice Transformer (speed and tone) for added fun
• Customized word pronunciation, if necessary
Fun Spelling Activities
3 spelling activities of increasing difficulty are provided to adapt the activity to the child’s spelling level. You can use the built-in word lists or create your own.
1 - "Word Practice" says and displays the word to spell, and asks the child to spell it using the talking movable alphabet
2 - "Scrambled Letters" says the word and displays the letters needed to build the word or sentence, and asks the child to reorder the letters.
3 - “Spelling Quizzes” is a standard spelling test. The app won’t move onto the next word until the child has correctly spelled the word, helping them to remember its correct spelling.
• 184 built-in word lists of 10 words: Words for beginners, Dolch Words, 1,000 most frequently used words, body parts and more
• Create custom Word Lists by entering your own words and sentences
• Import and export Word Lists you’ve created
• Hints are available should kids not know how to spell a word
• Colorful animations are displayed when a word is completed
• Once a quiz is completed, interactive animations are available as a reward
-- Users & Reports --
• Unlimited number of users
• Detailed Spelling Test Reports per user (can be exported in PDF)
• The New York Times
"This is an important breakthrough in reading instruction, because it leverages the iPad’s size, powerful speech synthesis abilities and touchscreen, so that every letter can be a building block of phonetically accurate sound"
• Children's Technology Review
Editor's Choice Award for Excellence in Design - 4.8 stars out of 5 - "Turn your iPad into a talking alphabet/language generator - and the perfect tool for a child just starting to experiment with letters and their sounds"
• Wired's GeekDad
"This is a fantastic app for young children."
Editor's Choice - "This is the perfect app for any child who is learning how to read, or to supplement advanced vocabulary lessons through fifth grade."
• “I love the talking alphabet. (...) The app supports letter recognition, phonological awareness, spelling and self-correction without sacrificing fun. I will certainly recommend it to early educators.” Mary Ellin Logue, Ed.D, Associate Professor, Early Childhood Education,University of Maine
Please send any suggestions to email@example.com. We listen to our users to improve our products.
• ClassKit support for schools
• Accessibility: 3 high contrast modes (red, yellow or green letters on a black background) for kids with vision impairments (available in Advanced Settings)
• Exceptions are now case-insensitive
As usual, please send us your feedback and suggestions so we can make the app even better (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thanks.
Ratings and Reviews
I absolutely love this app for spelling test help wi my daughter, and I love that I can import my own lists. One down side is that the words are not always pronounced as they should be, but I'm there to help correct it. We love the start and hearts and playful interaction afterwards. We also love the crossword app. Great purchase and definitely worth it!
This app is great! I bought it for my 8 year old, who has disabilities, but its been AWESOME for my typically developing 5 year old as well. I LOVE that you can have the letters "say" either their phonetic sound or their letter name. Both my girls love making silly phrases and hearing them read aloud. Sometimes when the girls aren't listening well, I type in a message and play it to them to get their attention. Great app.
PS: we've also had fun with this app in school as a really fast alternative voice for my older girl. She doesn't speak, and its really quick and easy to simply put a few word choices into the top and let her choose a word to respond with. Great reinforcement for literacy and just a wonderful app.
What We Liked:
Every homeschooling family with young children has at least one set of magnetic alphabet letters or tiles. Keeping track of these letters, particularly with toddlers in the house can be quite tricky, so Word Wizard seemed like an answer to prayer for me. It is so much more than a magnetic letter set though!
The unique text to speech mechanism allows children to both freely play with letter combinations and to practice building meaningful words in structured spelling practice.
This app has huge potential if you are teaching with phonics – you can sit down with a child and segment out simple words together, and explain more complex spelling rules as your child grows by showing how the sound of the word changes as new letters are added. I love that you can create your own customized spelling list as well.
My daughter loves the animation screen and is very motivated to work through a few lists of ten words each so that she can enjoy different animations that she can draw and play with when she is done.
The dictation (the app asking your child to spell a word and then having them build it) approach to spelling is incredibly effective and time-tested. This is a truly innovative, new tech way to use this technique with your children and keep them interested in the entire spelling/word creation process.
What We Didn’t Like:
This app would be even more incredible if it included some statistics, tracking, and reporting functions that would let you have multiple children using the app whose spelling results it would keep track of as each list is completed. As it is, you have to assign a list, and then hope you can get a hold of the results screen before your child dives into the animated reward segment of the app. My daughter did mention that the voice is a bit unclear at times. Computer speech generation has come a LONG way, but you can tell it’s still computer generated and a little bit off.
Throw your remaining motley crew of alphabet magnets away – Word Wizard is here! Whether you are teaching the alphabet, spelling, or reading with phonics, Word Wizard is an app you should definitely add to your list of must-haves for the grade school years.
Disclosure: I received a promo code to download this app.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.