SafeExamBrowser (SEB) is a secure kiosk web browser environment used to carry out e-assessments that run on exam servers. SEB opens a web browser without an address and search bar, loads a pre-configured webpage and locks an iPad (or iPhone or iPod Touch) into a single app kiosk mode. This mode prevents students from switching to other apps, accessing websites and communicating with other students during an exam. SEB enables secure exams on unmanaged iOS devices like students' own iPads as well as on iOS devices owned and managed by an institution. SEB doesn't use a centralized server or cloud service; it can be configured with an API, config files and config links. It can be used with most web-based quiz and e-assessment systems. For improved security and usability, some exam systems provide additional built-in support for SEB. Currently, SEB integrates especially well with learning management systems (LMS) such as Moodle, ILIAS, OpenOLAT and with several non-commercial and commercial exam systems, such as Inspera Assessment, Dugga, Exam.net or EvaExam.
SEB uses one of the single app modes provided by iOS. After an exam is submitted, SEB can automatically end the app self-lock kiosk mode (an exam invigilator could also use a quit password to end the SEB exam session and unlock the device if necessary).
SEB features an optional Dock displaying buttons for various commands. Instead or in addition, a left slider menu shows a list of open browser tabs and commands which can be used to (if enabled in settings) quit an exam session, jump back to the start page of an exam, reload a web page or search text on it, and navigate back/forward in the browsing history.
SEB for iOS uses the same format for encrypted .seb configuration files as the SEB versions for other platforms. Those config files allow to individually configure SEB to display the start page of an exam system or an exam portal page with a list of links to current exams. If SEB for iOS is installed using a mobile device management (MDM) system, its initial configuration can easily be deployed using the "MDM Managed Configuration" feature. You can also directly start an exam with an individual configuration in SEB for iOS using a special config hyperlink. This link can be opened by examinees from Safari, Mail or a messenger app. In addition, you can use QR codes containing SEB links. An exam can directly be started in SEB by using the iOS Camera app or the built-in QR code scanner.
SEB also works together with Apple Classroom, teachers can start individually configured exams on all student devices. See https://safeexambrowser.org/ios for more information.
SafeExamBrowser for iOS was developed by Daniel R. Schneider, ETH Zurich, Educational Development and Technology (LET), based on the original idea of Safe Exam Browser by Stefan Schneider, University of Giessen
Project concept: Thomas Piendl, Daniel R. Schneider, Damian Büchel, Andreas Hefti, Dirk Bauer, Michael Kern, Kai Reuter, Tobias Halbherr, Karsten Burger, Marco Lehre, Brigitte Schmucki, Oliver Rahs.
Safe Exam Browser is released as freeware. The code is subject to the Mozilla Public License Version 1.1 (the "License"); you may only use these files in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/ .
Important parts of this project have been carried out as part of the program "AAA/SWITCH – e-Infrastructure for e-Science" led by SWITCH, the Swiss National Research and Education Network and the cooperative project "Learning Infrastructure" (part of the CRUS program "Information scientifique: accès, traitement et sauvegarde") coordinated by SWITCH, and was supported by funds from the ETH Board and the State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI).
• Fixed: Downloads of website-generated files were not working in SEB 3.1.1 and 3.2.2.
• Fixed crash when closing a tab.
New in SEB 3.2.2:
• Now displaying camera & microphone permission dialogs for web applications and optional built-in proctoring before starting session.
• Added new settings browserMediaCaptureCamera and browserMediaCaptureMicrophone (Settings / Browser Features / Media Playback/Capture / Allow Camera/Microphone Capture) for controlling browser access to camera/microphone (WebRTC or still pictures/audio recording). If these settings are enabled, users will be asked to grant access to camera/microphone for SEB before the according (exam) session is started.
• Improved MDM configuration to better recognize configuration changes.
• Fixed crash when configured via MDM: This happened when a config contained prohibited processes.
• Fixed file name of shared config file in iOS was not reset together with all other settings.
• Fixed additional stability issues.
Optional features which need to be individually configured and are disabled by default:
• Massively improved error handling when connecting to SEB Server with better error messages which can help SEB Server and exam administrators to fix server-side issues.
• Added support for fallback option when connecting to SEB Server fails completely. In that case, an alternative start URL can be configured and fallback optionally protected with a new fallback password.
• Improved stability in case of misconfigured SEB Server exams.
• Improved sending log events, to prevent loosing single events due to temporary connectivity issues.
• Now sending device info to SEB Server earlier in the connection process.
• Renew expired SEB Server OAuth token.
Udvikleren, ETH Zurich, har angivet, at fremgangsmåder vedrørende app-anonymitet muligvis inkluderer håndtering af data som beskrevet nedenfor. Du kan få flere oplysninger her: udviklerens anonymitetspolitik.
Data indsamles ikke
Udvikleren indsamler ikke data fra denne app.
Fremgangsmåder vedrørende anonymitet kan variere, f.eks. baseret på de funktioner, du bruger, eller din alder. Læs mere
- ETH Zurich
- 69,2 MB
- Kræver iOS 11.0 eller en nyere version.
- Kræver iPadOS 11.0 eller en nyere version.
- iPod touch
- Kræver iOS 11.0 eller en nyere version.
- © 2023 ETH Zürich