It’s been a VERY long time since ThinkBook updates. I’ve continued to work on it throughout but haven’t put it all together in a release till now.
Let’s have a look at what’s happened since the last update:
- The look of iOS has changed dramatically. Gone are all the things that looked like things, now everything looks flatter. ThinkBook 1 was definitely old-school! so I’ve totally re-jigged the user interface. It looks cleaner, flatter, it looks like it belongs in the new iOS. You’ve probably already seen the screenshots, if you haven’t, prepared to be pleasantly … shocked.
- The iPhone has changed. The old iPhone wasn’t well suited to an app like ThinkBook. It was too small, too slow, and what’s more (and this was my fault), the way ThinkBook was laid out made it even MORE difficult to fit it into an iPhone. The tools on the left took up too much screen, the iPhone is a lot taller than it is wide. The history bar at the top would have only fit a couple of entries on the iPhone. Now, with the 5 series iPhones, and the iPhone 6+ it’s a very different ball game. So I’ve made ThinkBook a universal app. The toolbar is moved to the bottom, and the history bar is now a menu. It’s a much more intuitive interface, did you know you could bookmark entries in the old navigation bar? no? most people didn’t. Now there’s a ‘bookmark’ button next to each entry, you won’t miss it.
- Cloud services. When ThinkBook first came out it was lauded because it had built-in Dropbox support! Now iOS provides apps with the document picker, it lets you connect to any service that provides an app extension, DropBox, iCloud Drive, box.net, Google Drive, whatever. So the old Dropbox integration has been replaced with the document picker. The downside to this is that we are at the mercy of the extension providers and they are a little hit and miss. Unless you need to change I recommend sticking to Dropbox, or iCloud Drive, but the interface is nicer on Dropbox.
So here are some more things that I’ve added for this update, they are available as in-app purchases:
- iCloud transfers. Use iCloud to update your notes between devices.
- More notebook covers, there are now two default ones, and you can buy ten more.
- Dark themes, there are three default themes, they have light backgrounds like the old ones, and you can buy three more with dark backgrounds.
There are also a LOT of other little improvements all over the place.
Thank you for reading this far, I hope you like your new ThinkBook!
Ratings and Reviews
This app is a real great tool, real easy, simple and fast to use. I can only recommend this to everyone that needs a great tool for notetaking and project planning on a tablet.
But you need to read the "tutorial" / user manual, to get the full use of the app...
The update came with some good things, but after using it some time - i could really use a dropbox folder - and an option to save in .doc format or similar - for easier syncing with my computer at work. But keep it as simple and intuitive as it is now :-)
This app is nothing short of amazing: the UI is minimalistic and unintrusive and the actions are so intuitive you quickly adapt to them.
But there are bugs: it crashes quite often still.
And it could use some more options: exporting to pdf og doc would be welcomed, as would a way to print from within the app itself.
Job well done though!
This looked like a great app, but unfortunately the UI is very unresponsive and almost impossible to use.
- Bitolithic Pty Ltd
- 40.1 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2015 bitolithic
- In-App Purchases
- More notebook covers 9,00 kr
- Dark Themes 9,00 kr
- Cloud note transfers 9,00 kr
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.