Become a fire expert and complete all fire-safety tasks to get your diploma!
Virpa – Fire Expert game is a great educational tool and entertaining experience for 6-12 years old kids. The game has been fully designed to teach in a fun way all knowledge that a kid should have about fire safety.
The game places the player in a three-floor school building with lots of things to discover, learn, complete, and collect. This includes:
- Scan with the phone camera six real fire-safety signs to unlock 18 rooms
- Find and solve ten hazards
- Collect and read six newspapers
- Explore the school and unlock over forty clothing elements
- Play three extra minigames; skateboard, fire-man, and extinguisher
- Solve the eight chalkboards’ puzzles
- Complete a fire drill
- Succeed in the final exam and obtain the fire-expert diploma
- Game makes use of phone’s camera. The player needs to find fire-safety signs in real buildings and scan them with the phone camera to unlock certain rooms. Nor the game neither the developer saves nor stores any image obtained from the camera, but only the information of the fire-safety sign which was scanned.
- Game is free-to-play. No adds. No in-app purchases. The game was developed with public funding from Palosuojelurahasto (Fire Protection Fund – Finland).
- Game uses GPS when fire-safety signs are scanned with phone’s camera. GPS use can be disabled in the phone settings.
- Game uses AR (augmented reality) in the extinguisher minigame. It only works in phones with AR capability.
- Educators and parents can visit www.virpagame.fi for extra material related to fire safety and more information regarding this game.
- Game available in English, Finnish, and Swedish.
Ratings and Reviews
Smart pedagogical game
The game is very smart. It encourages kids to learn about fire safety visiting buildings where real fire safety signs can be found and scan. My kids loved that idea and so we visit different buildings to get plenty of them (it seems you score more points when you change locations). Scanning signs helps you to open rooms and progress in the game, but there are many other things to do too. The game places you in a school building with lots of things to discover and collect. The progression system is fairly easy to understand and we handle after few hours to get many things done. The Fire-Man minigame (a version of well-known PacMan) got our nerves, and the skateboard minigame was pretty cool actually. Interesting. Good work.
How do I get to the FireMan mini game?
Developer Response ,
We are terribly sorry for the late reply. The FireMan mini game is available now with the latest update. You can play the minigame via arcade machines scattered across the floors.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Turku University of Applied Sciences
- 389.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Turku Game Lab
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.