Xcode includes everything developers need to create great applications for Mac, iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Apple Watch. Xcode provides developers a unified workflow for user interface design, coding, testing, and debugging. The Xcode IDE combined with the Swift programming language make developing apps easy and fun.
Xcode includes the Xcode IDE, Swift and C/C++/Objective-C compilers, Instruments analysis tool, simulators, the latest SDKs, and hundreds of powerful features:
Innovative tools help you create great apps
• Swift is an intuitive programming language that is safe, fast, and modern
• SwiftUI is a revolutionary framework to create user interfaces with a declarative Swift syntax
• Playgrounds are a fun way to experiment and interact with Swift code
• View debugging shows a 3D stack of all your app's UI view layers at runtime
• Split editors in virtually unlimited ways, show previews, or choose an assistant to see related content
• Live issues display errors as you type, and Fix-its improve your code with just a click
• Source control navigator and service integrations help you manage code across a team
SwiftUI and Interface Builder make it easy to design your interface
• SwiftUI uses declarative Swift code that clearly describes your interface
• Design canvas graphically builds UI views using the library of controls and modifyers
• Preview SwiftUI code or UIKit interfaces in different screen sizes, orientations, and font sizes
• SwiftUI code is always in perfect sync with the graphical design canvas and previews
• Animations are built using simple commands that describe the action you want to see
Professional editor and debugger keep your code front and center
• Refactoring makes it easy to modify the structure of Swift, Objective-C, C, and C++ code
• Open Quickly instantly opens any file within your project
• Data tips and Quick Look can inspect a variable by hovering your mouse over code while debugging
Instruments for performance analysis
• Compare CPU, disk, memory, and GPU performance as graphical tracks over time
• Identify performance bottlenecks, then dive deep into the code to uncover the cause
• Analyze your app directly, or sample the entire system with very little overhead
• Create custom instruments with unique visualizations to analyze your own code and frameworks
To test or run applications on an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Apple Watch all you need is a free Apple ID. To submit your apps to the App Store you must be a member of the Apple Developer Program. Some features may require Internet access.
Xcode 14.3 includes Swift 5.8 and SDKs for iOS 16.4, iPadOS 16.4, tvOS 16.4, watchOS 9.4, and macOS Ventura 13.3.
Ratings and Reviews
I will not give more than 3/5.
My favorite professional tool so far in my life
After almost 10 years in iOS development, I’m still myself the primary bottleneck of my productivity, not the tools. Never felt like looking into alternatives, this one just works as I expect.
(Although I wish they’d drop Interface Builder completely — I *hate* inheriting legacy projects where a developer thought it’s sustainable to develop real-world user interfaces with a powerpoint instead of just doing everything in code — but at least it doesn’t push me too much into using it. Deleting the one initial storyboard from every new project isn’t that difficult. :)
I miss my package manager, gnu make and shell
Slow, resource hoggy, unproductive and constantly gets into the way. Can we have standardized way of building, and archiving iOS applications from the command line instead? Preferably something that doesn't break every other month, so we could use a better text editor.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Apple Distribution International
- 7.6 GB
- Developer Tools
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 1999–2023 Apple Inc.