The OFFICIAL ABRSM Aural Trainer contains interactive challenges to help develop your music aural skills (listening skills). Anyone can use it, but it is designed around ABRSM’s aural tests for Grades 1 to 5. The app can be used in any order, however often you like, on your own or with your teacher.
This app contains a limited amount of audio content for Grades 1 and 4. You may upgrade to all content for Grades 1 to 5 in-app*. There is also a fully interactive interval trainer tool and guide to the aural tests in ABRSM graded music exams.
Use ABRSM Aural Trainer to:
• Improve your sense of pulse and metre (feeling the beat).
• Exercise your musical memory (remember how music sounds and be able to repeat it or spot differences and mistakes).
• Develop your confidence and accuracy at sight-singing (reading and singing the music you see).
• Learn to describe dynamics, articulation, tempo and tonality.
• Practise identifying the features in music that make-up its style and character.
• Develop the skills to know when a piece of music was written.
The app covers the following ABRSM aural test content:
• Pulse and Metre
• Melodic Repetition
• Musical Features
• Rhythmic Repetition
Tackle each element in stages using the preparation exercises.
All exercises are fully interactive. Each one gives you the opportunity to repeat the question, or to compare your response to the correct answer and hear the music again. The app also features supporting tools including an interval trainer, progress tracker and guides to the aural tests in ABRSM graded music exams.
Many exercises are automatically marked by the application. Self-review and critical listening are also key to successful development of the musical ear, which is why the app provides tools for you to review and evaluate your performance against sample responses in all cases. Your progress is logged whenever you use the app, so you can always see at a glance the areas you might want to revisit.
* It is not possible to share in-app purchases via Family Sharing. Please note that if you upgrade Aural Trainer Lite to the full version of the app, you cannot share that in-app upgrade via Family Sharing. Only the limited Lite version of the app can be shared via Family Sharing. If you wish to share the full version of the app via Family Sharing you must purchase the full version of Aural Trainer directly from the App Store.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Useful but limited
This app is excellent to test yourself when you think you are ready. It’s less useful as a learning app as there are limited examples and the exercises start to repeat fairly quickly. The Cadence trainer is useful for perfect, imperfect and plagal cadences, but only seems to test on some interrupted cadences, even with that option selected. Would be good if the developers could look at this, so II-V and IV-V are also included. But worth getting for checking yourself before an exam.
Impracticality set out
Even though this is the light the should give acsess to the first two grades rather than a random 2 to make it easier for people to know if they want to buy the better version it’s a good app but not many people will want to use it if it stays set out this way
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your comment. The Lite version of Aural Trainer gives you access to an example question from Grade 1 and Grade 4 to allow you to evaluate the app before purchasing the upgrade. This selection has not been chosen at random, rather this is because the types of questions you are asked at Grades 4 and 5 are different to those that you are asked at Grades 1-3. We hope this information is helpful and will enable you to continue using Aural Trainer.
Can’t share with my family
This appears to be a useful App but I cannot share it with my family members, despite the description saying I should be able to.
I have sent 3 messages to ABRSM and have had no response.
This makes it very expensive and not worthwhile.
Developer Response ,
It is possible to share the app itself via Family Sharing but it is not possible to share in-app purchases via Family Sharing. This is universal of any app available for iOS. Because this app contains a limited amount of content for Grades 1 to 4 and the further content is available via in-app purchase, it is not possible to share that further content via Family Sharing. We hope this information is helpful.
- The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
- 332.7 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (Publishing) Limited
- In-App Purchases
- Grades 1-3 £4.99
- Grades 4-5 £4.99
- Grades 1-5 £7.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.