Apple TV Remote is a great companion to Apple TV, delivering the best of the Siri Remote. With Apple TV Remote, you’ll never need to put down your iPhone or iPad to enjoy Apple TV. Control Apple TV with a swipe of your finger or use the keyboard to quickly enter text. And you can use the app along with the Siri Remote.
• Navigate Apple TV with touch gestures
• Quickly enter text, email addresses and passwords using the keyboard
• Ask Siri to find something great to watch, listen to or play
• Control the film, TV programme or song that’s currently playing
• View song lyrics, change music tracks, and select film chapters
• Play games using the accelerometer and gyroscope
• Turn on Game Mode for simplified gaming controls
• Use volume buttons on your iOS device to control volume
• iOS devices using iOS 9.3.2 or later
• Wi-Fi connection to Apple TV
• Apple TV (4th generation), using tvOS 9.2.1 or later
• Apple TV (3rd generation), using Apple TV Software 7.2.1
• Apple TV (2nd generation), using Apple TV Software 6.2.1
• Certain Now Playing features, including lyrics, playlists, and chapter, audio and captions selection for films and TV programmes, require iOS 10.3 or later and tvOS 10.2 or later
• Volume control requires an AV receiver with CEC support
Siri requires Apple TV (4th generation) and availability varies by country and language.
This update includes general performance and stability improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Swipe issues after Latest update
The new look and icon for the integrated app is great but with that update came a whole host of issues in relation to swipe controls.
It’s hit and miss if you can swipe up or down for context menus, this also means you then can’t close down apps.
This also seems to have affected scrubbing as it works 1/20 times meaning tracking through films is really frustrating.
This is the same across multiple devices using remote app and multiple Apple TV units in the house so definitely something to do with the latest edition.
I’m using the same method of initially tapping the screen and the trying to scrub through movie and it’s really random.
Also I find that if left and right works then it’s up and down that then stops (for closing apps etc,) but not for navigating the home screen - that works every time 🤷🏼♂️
Brilliant app, I can’t understand all the negative reviews.
After reading the reviews I was unsure if I should get this app.
I am so glad that I did. It works perfectly and is brilliant. I can now use my Apple 4K TV as easily and as quickly as I use my iPad Pro.
The app looks very basic, but it is not.
Just make sure you use the space above the controls, like you would a touchscreen. Move your finger or stylus around the screen to navigate around the menus. Tap the screen to enter or exit a menu. When you go into search, the keyboard pops up instantly to use. Tap the screen when you have finished typing on the keyboard.
Ignore the reviews that say you can’t turn on your Apple 4K TV with the app, because you can. If you have more than one Apple 4K TV, then select the one you are using from the menu in the top left corner.
The remote app greatly speeds up navigating around the Apple 4K TV. Using the keyboard makes searching for films, music, apps and TV programs etc, a LOT faster and easier. It also makes watching films a lot easier. You can play, pause, skip forward or skip backwards 10sec at a time, and skip to any chapter in a film. Get film info easily and see how much of the film you have watched and what is remaining.
I could tell you a lot more, but this review is already becoming more like a book than a review. 😀
The app itself makes EVERYTHING faster and easier. Brilliant!
Easy 5 stars and highly recommended!
Although airplay and other apps having the ability to locate and stream to my Apple TV; it seems Apple’s own remote functionality is incapable of doing the same. Weather I have it installed as an app, or use the icon on the swipe menu.
Even the iTunes remote used to work better than this!
- Apple Distribution International
- 14.2 MB
Requires iOS 9.3.2 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Catalan, Chinese (Hong Kong), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2016-2018 Apple Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.