Scared of spiders? Arachnophobia Free has been developed by two UK leading consultant psychiatrists to help you the same way a real therapy would if you visited the doctor. We use exposure therapy to help you engage and remain relaxed when dealing with spiders.
- Reviewed by University of Roehampton
- Reviewed by diverse mental health organisations such as Anxiety UK and Time to Change
- Featured on the BBC, Channel 4 and other major media outlets
In the app Dr Freeman, our virtual doctor, guides you through therapeutic mini-games. Starting off with Itsy, a super cute pink spider that looks like a Disney character, you’ll gradually face more and more realistic spiders. You will help them escape from humans or help them catch their lunch. In the last stage you will be able to interact with an augmented reality tarantula that looks and moves like the real thing.
Benefits of this app:
- On the go: real exposure therapy in your hands
- Easy: do it in your own time and at your own pace
- Efficient: improve your wellbeing and get over your arachnophobia
- Get reminders of your sessions
- Share your progress with friends in Facebook
- Our aim is to improve the world’s mental health in a affordable and efficient way
- Part of the Telefonica O2’s accelerator program Wayra
- Winners of CUTEC from Cambridge University
- Winners of UnLtd BVC Challenge 2015 for social enterprises
- +25.000 people using our apps
- Performance improvements
- Various bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
This is an excellent app. I have had a phobia of spiders for 40 years. It was at a point when I would have a panic attack if I saw one. I used this app and now I feel I can face spiders. I now get them out for my children. I went to a zoo and touched the glass of the cage of a tarantula and I thought it was quite cute. My son can not believe the difference in me. It even feels strange to me because half of my brain wants to fall back into the scared part but the other half takes over and I feel calm.
It is a bit slow to start with, telling you a lot of stuff about how a phobia works. The relaxation sessions are good but I already knew relaxation. When you get to the games it's really good. They start off easy but you quickly get to the more creepy spiders. The last session that you do with the spider on your hand was really hard, but I think is what really helps. I did it a few times and it was less creepy every time.
If you want it to work, it will !!!
Got this for my wife. She's petrified of spiders. I was ok and would capture them under a glass and with a bit of cardboard, get them outside.
My wife is now calmer around them and I can now pick them up by their legs and get them outside.
Still a work in progress on my wife's part, but major improvement for me. Well done to the developers.
- Thrive Therapeutic Software Ltd
- 707.4 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2016 Thrive Therapeutic Software Limited
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.