AudioSwitcher is a menu bar that allows you to switch quickly between all available input and output devices. In addition you can change the volume and other properties of each device without having to change your current input / output.
You can quickly change the sample rate or output to multiple devices at the same time.
AudioSwitcher supports any device directly attached to the host system: USB, DisplayPort, HDMI, Thunderbolt and Bluetooth.
It does not support AirPlay or AirPlay 2 devices.
AudioSwitcher is ideal if you have multiple sound devices attached to your Mac and want to be able to switch between them without having to use System Preferences.
Things to be aware of:
- If you have headphones physically plugged in then your internal speakers are disabled for some Apple hardware.
- Apple no longer allows 3rd party apps to see or view AirPlay devices
- HDMI contains no volume information: volume control is the responsibilty of the device that renders audio, eg, the monitor, TV etc. This is why you can't adjust volume via software
- Fixes to the priority screen to stop priorities being lower than 0
- Fixes to the priority screen to stop devices automatically sorting based on priority
Ratings and Reviews
This app is great and I'm glad I've discovered it. The way that MacOS handles outputs can be annoying (for example automatically switching mic input to Airpods when setting them as output).
Couple of improvements:
- When using the 'mute all' function, it would be great if the menubar icon changed (can see it if showing the input volume but don't always want to see that). Would also prefer the menu icon to be transparent, or have the option.
- UI for priorities could be better (dragging up and down a list would be clearer, still not that sure whether a higher or lower number is prioritised)
- Where the popup is displayed - would be nice to customise this as sometimes it goes off screen
- Blue text of currently suggested devices can be hard to read
- Occasionally crashes
Great little app
Preferences panel is not that obvious to work out, but other than that works a treat.
Works - Can't see why the bad reviews
Does just what you expect - it allows the audio source to be switched/muted/the volume controlled - a lot cheaper option than Rogue Amoeba Soundsource to solve my issue - I can't complain at 99p. It seems to have an awful lot of extra fuctionality to explore as well. Glad I ignored the old 1 star reviews
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Bill Falconer
- 1.5 MB
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2021 Bill Falconer
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.