Aviary is a beautiful Twitter client built with macOS design guidelines in mind. It's simple enough to pick up and use immediately, and powerful enough to tweak it just the way you want. The delightful interface is coupled with extensive features that feel the part on your device, whilst elevating your Twitter experience.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE AVIARY:
Browse Twitter without the distractions of promoted tweets or ads. Use filters to hide tweets containing keywords, users, media, quotes, retweets, tweets above or below certain thresholds, regular expressions, and more. Tweak app icons, tints, gestures, tweet appearances, and much more with the extensive list of settings options.
Quickly view lists, set custom tabs, change accounts, respond to tweets, share content, and more using gestures and context menus. Siri Shortcuts, Share Extensions, iMessage Stickers, and Widgets means that the fun doesn't stop when you leave the app.
- Browse Twitter in chronological order without the distractions of promoted tweets or ads
- Beautiful macOS-centric UI
- Universal app (one-time purchase to get it on iPhone, iPad, Watch, and Mac)
- Widgets to display timeline feeds and latest tweets
- Multiple columns that can be tweaked to display the content that suit your browsing preferences
- Compose tweets with media, GIFs, ASCII character faces, drawings, and more
- Powerful tweet filters (words, hashtags, users, media, quoted content, retweets, tweets above or below certain thresholds, regular expressions, sentiment, and more)
OTHER EXCITING FEATURES:
- Context menus across the app to quickly perform actions
- Hashflags support
- View polls
- View pinned tweets
- List creation and browsing support
- Trends and search support
- Extensive profile actions, including adding private notes to remember details about the respective user
- In-app Instagram media and YouTube playback
- Text and image text translations
- Autoplaying timeline videos
- Fetch-based push notifications for mentions and replies
- Drag and Drop tweet and media support
- Extensive keyboard shortcuts
- Custom app themes to tweak the app to your liking
- Dark mode and high-contrast backgrounds
- Accessibility labels, dynamic font sizing, and VoiceOver support
- iCloud sync
GET IN TOUCH:
If you have any questions or feedback, please get in touch. Aviary was created by an incredibly small team of one and I'd love to hear your thoughts. I'm available through Twitter @JPEGuin.
- Images and videos now open in the current window
- Minor UI changes
- Fixed issue where timeline positions would jump around at times
- Fixed issue where inline search fields would be offset and laid out incorrectly at times
- Fixed various crashes
Please note that Twitter API limitations imposed upon third-party apps can cause timelines to be empty, and some in-app actions to fail to perform at times. If you’re curious about whether an issue you’re facing within the app is due to being rate limited via the API, please get in touch. Aviary was created by an incredibly small team of one and I’d love to hear your thoughts. I’m available through Twitter @JPEGuin. Happy tweeting!
Ratings and Reviews
The sheer number of settings available in this app is impressive. You can really get your Twitter app set up just the way you like it.
The main issue I have that’s deducting a star from my rating is that the app doesn’t seem to have had any accessibility work done on it. You aren’t able to specify image descriptions when posting a tweet (which is part of Twitter’s API) and reading the timeline with Voiceover is a poor experience. Buttons are just called “Button”. Decorative images aren’t marked as such so you get the file names read out for the icons etc. It’s all fixable stuff, and it’s clear that the developer is very passionate about the app from what I’ve used of it so far, so I’m sure it will be fixed.
Overall the app is a pleasure to use. Notifications are useless really but that’s because Twitter doesn’t have an API for that.
Looking forward to future updates. Good work!
Developer Response ,
Hey there, thank you for the feedback!
I'm really glad you're liking the app. I shall take this onboard and work on VoiceOver and accessibility enhancements for an update soon.
Still far too buggy, can’t recommend
I really really want to like this app, but below are just some of the issues I have faced since it first launched and that I still experience today:
If you ‘like’ a tweet, the only way for it to appear on the Likes tab is to force-close the app. The feed does not auto-refresh on coming back to the app when it’s running in the background, and it often does not refresh on first launch, either. I cannot for the life of me get the Watch app to work - I always get a spinning circle and then it crashes, ever after reinstalling or following the steps to re-pair it with the phone app. And today, my feed lost the last 24 hours of tweets, all because I rotated my phone to watch a video - the most recent tweets at the top of my feed now are from 1 day ago.
Unfortunately this app is nowhere near ready for being sold on the App Store. I hope the developer sticks with it but there are just too many bugs to list here, and a lot of the time it is unusable. A real shame.
I like this app but...
I wish you could choose whats in each section and keep it like that until you choose to change it and also that the sections where seperately resizeble by how wide they are, I also think their is a bit too much space wasted on the menu/list? on the left so I wish that was resizeable too, I think they should also have an option to lock them when adjusted too, I dont get the point in that tweet info section, when it loads the tweet in the same section if you click on it, it makes that seem pointless imo? this app looks really nice overall but the things I've mentioned make it not as useful as the app i normally use if those features could be added I'd definatly switch to this more then the other.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Shihab Mehboob
- 17.2 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- 17+ Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Unrestricted Web Access Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humour Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2021 Shihab Mehboob.
- In-App Purchases
- Substantial Tip £2.99
- Great Tip £4.99
- Generous Tip £0.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.