Scottish Avalanche Information Service
Designed for iPhone
Enjoying the winter mountains fully is helped by having an understanding of potential hazards and knowing where the best conditions are to be found.
Walkers, skiers, climbers and snowboarders will benefit from the BAA tool which will help with the gathering of important information and provide tips and resources that will help with any decision making.
- Access daily avalanche hazard reports
- Automatic notifications when you enter a forecast area
- Guidelines to help you with the decision making process
- Tips, movie clips and photos that help illustrate answers to questions
- A hazard rose tool that overlies your location on an ordnance survey map
- A slope angle checker that utilises the camera function on your phone
update submit avalanche report
Ratings and Reviews
Stop requesting location
Great but 3 stars until it stops constantly prompting me to “allow location tracking”. I’ve got it set to ‘while using’ that’s all it should need. I turn off all location tracking app requests so that I have battery available when I need it in the mountains. Some of our phones are tired and need all the help they can get. Please fix this! Thank you, otherwise great.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback. When the app is active the app is always scanning the database to ensure that the most up to date avalanche forecast is visible. This is to ensure that inaccurate hazard information is not used. Additionally the app should recognise the area you are located and provide the correct avalanche report for you.
Annoying Location Request
While it is nice to have the SAIS reports neatly packaged in an app, the constant requests to enable location services are extremely irritating, to the point where it makes me consider simply using the SAIS website. Although some users may want to have the nearest avalanche forecast automatically selected, I think that the trade off between this and the reduced battery usage that it causes it not worth it; at least leave it up to the user to decide. Finally, location services while in app should be enough to find the relevant location.
Slope Aspect Hazard Tool
Had the App for a couple of years on various iPhones and IOS versions. Never been able to make this function work although have seen it in various training slides at glen more lodge. Assumed it was a glitch with my phone but I’ve had som many now it just seems this doesn’t work on IOS .. great shame as it would be useful For planning routes
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- User Content
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Scottish Avalanche Information Service
- 482.5 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Scottish Avalanche Information Service