Bear is a focused, flexible notes app used by writers, lawyers, chefs, teachers, engineers, students, parents and more! Bear has quick organisation, editing tools, and export options to help you write quickly and share anywhere and preserve your privacy with encryption.
2017 Apple Design Award
App Store App of the Year 2016
“My journaling app of choice is Bear” - Kit Eaton, New York Times
*WRITE YOUR WAY* with flexible yet simple tools
- Tools stay out of your way so you can just write
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes and lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required. Learn more below)
- Easily create notes with Siri and iOS Shortcuts
- Use Apple Watch to dictate and append to recent notes
- Pick from over a dozen themes for the perfect writing space (requires Bear Pro. Learn more below)
- Support for sketching, drawing, and Apple Pencil (and other styli)
- Grab images, text, files, and clip web pages with Bear’s app extension
*ORGANIZE QUICKLY* with tasks and #tags
- Add #tags, #multi-word tags# and even #multiple/nested/tags anywhere in a note for quick organization
- Add tasks to notes to stay on track
- Archive notes to keep them around, but out of your way
- Use Cross-Note Links to build a body of work, reference other notes, and more
- Pick custom icons to help important tags stand out in the Sidebar
- Use emoji autocomplete to add style to your tasks, journals, headings, and more
- Multiple export options including HTML, PDF, DOCX, MD, JPG, EPUB, and TextBundle (some export options require Bear Pro)
- Copy part of a note in a variety of formats to paste elsewhere
- Easily share your notes to any third party app including Wordpress, Mail, Sparkle, etc...
*SEARCH ALL THE THINGS*
- Use Spotlight to search your notes from anywhere
- Quickly find what you need with keyword highlights
- Focus on specific types of notes with powerful Search Triggers. Try @task to find all notes with todos.
*USE IT EVERYWHERE* with sync in Bear Pro
- Sync your notes between Mac, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch
- Notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- A single in-app subscription works across all your devices
*YOUR NOTES, NOT OURS*
- Bear is private at its core: We cannot see your notes, tags, or anything else
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you (Bear Pro required)
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID (Bear Pro required)
- Export notes to portable formats like Plain Text, Markdown, and TextBundle
- With a Bear Pro subscription, your notes sync via iCloud, not our servers
- Backup and restore all notes with just a couple taps
*ENABLE ALL FEATURES WITH BEAR PRO*
One low, yearly subscription enables a variety of features on all your devices and keeps the Bear hugs coming.
- **NEW** Encrypt individual notes with a password that is entirely private to you
- **NEW** Lock Bear with Face/Touch ID
- Sync notes between your iPhone, iPad, and Mac via iCloud
- Advanced export to PDF, HTML, DOCX, JPG
- Over a dozen gorgeous app themes to help you create the best writing environment
- More themes are on the way
- Keep the Bear updates coming
$1.49 monthly, $14.99 annually (save 18%)
Price may vary by location. Subscriptions will be charged to your credit card through your iTunes account. Your subscription will automatically renew unless canceled at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. You will not be able to cancel the subscription once activated. After purchase, manage your subscriptions in App Store Account Settings. Any unused portion of a free trial period, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription.
$1.49 monthly, includes a one week free trial
$14.99 annually, includes a one month free trial
Terms of Service: http://www.bear-writer.com/terms/
Bear is ready for the new macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon Macs, and the future of square icons!
Apple completely redesigned the Today sidebar widgets in Big Sur, and Bear is ready. For Bear Pro users, please note that widgets cannot display the contents of password-protected notes for security and privacy reasons.
**Single note widget** (small, medium, large): Keep a note always in view, right on your homescreen. Pick your preferred size of widget, then right-click it to pick a note from Bear.
**Sidebar widget** (small, medium, large): View recent notes from key sections of the Sidebar, including: Notes, Untagged, Todo, Today, and any of your tags. Tap a note to open it in Bear, tap the label at the bottom to visit that location in Bear.
**Search widget** (small, medium, large): View the most recent notes that match a search query in Bear. PLUS, tap the label at the bottom to open that search query in Bear!
**READY FOR BIG SUR**
Icon styles are changing with the Big Sur times. Bear for Mac’s icon is now a rounded square and the shadowing is smoother. Yes, we redesigned all icon theme color variants, including for all Bear Pro themes!
We also fixed a handful of UI quirks and a few bugs related to running on Big Sur.
**READY FOR APPLE SILICON**
Apple is now building its own “Apple Silicon” CPUs for blazing fast speed, efficiency, and silent running. Bear is ready for the new Apple Silicon MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Mac mini.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Perfect Note Taking App
The major selling point for this app is the speed of sync betweem devices and the ease in which you can input text and format it to your liking. I’m sure that some people would prefer more formatting options, but I personnaly feel that what is available is sufficient as you don’t get distracted trying to make things fancier than they need.
One of the features that I initially thought of as a gimmick, but now use a lot is the ability to tag notes so that you can easily find them. Added to this is the fact that you can add an icon to your tag making it so much easier to find things quickly; although the search is lighning quick anyway if you do need it.
I have used Evernote and Apple notes, but for me this is so good that I was more than happy to pay for a year’s use. As long as the price doesn’t rise extortionately I think I’ll be using this for some time.
The only item that I would like to see is linked phone numbers so that they would dial from my phone if I want to call the person.
Overall I think this is an ecellent app and believe that most people woulf find it very useful.
Another Happy Customer
The great thing about Bear is its simplicity. In a very short time, it has ceased to be an experiment, downloaded to see if I could find a use for it, to an essential tool. It is becoming the first app I select when I need to write all sorts of things, from reports to speeches, brief notes to check lists. As so many have said, the clever tagging system makes organisation easy. The fact that it syncs with the iPad and iPhone is tremendously useful. I prefer the interface to Apple’s Notes, good though that is, and the price to that of Ulysses, which I have also used for while. Though I share the general dislike of subscription software, this app is sensibly priced and gives me value for money. The one thing that’s missing, of course, is a Windows version for those of us who are forced to live in multiple ecosystems, but I’ve seen rumors that a web-based version may be on the way, which will solve that problem. Well done, Shiny Frog! This is a great product which deserves to go far.
Exciting, Useful, just Beautiful!
At first I was very sceptic about downloading another note app, why would I need it when have the same built in the OS. I can tell most apps I download are deleted within 10 minutes, Bear not only surpassed the 10 minutes benchmark, I use it daily and I totally love it. Bear is stunningly beautiful with its minimalistic interface but at same time incorporates beautiful formatting and made me love writing again after 10 years break. To make it straight to the point pros and cons below
1) It’s absolutely beautiful
2) documents can be exported in its own Bear format which is an advantage if you want to have some privacy
3) text formatting gives so many options that everything looks like a veri beautiful book
and here is the catch - you will need to be subscribet to pro:
1) only txt and bear format are available for export without subscription
2) no backup or cloud sync
3) 2 themes are available for free
4) no sync between devices
I am almost impossible to convince to pay for an app but I am considering to subscribe for Bear Pro very soon. Costing just over £1.00 per month is very reasonable and thats an app that you wouldnt regret purchasing. Such a hidden gem and lovely notepad. I’m missing my Bear every moment I’m away from the computer, although I have it on my iPhone hardly ever use it there.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Shiny Frog Ltd.
- 32.6 MB
OS X 10.11 or later
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Shiny Frog Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- Bear Pro £1.29
- Bear Pro £13.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.