Boatie is an invaluable source of information for all who enjoy recreational boating in UK coastal waters. Developed and used by a keen sailor, after 6 years it remains the popular choice and 'go-to' app of thousands.
• 'Port' display for over 700 primary and secondary ports from UK, Ireland and the Channel Islands. This gives you a tide table for the next 7 days, along a meteogram of 3 hourly weather forecasts and daylight times, position relative to closest springs or neaps and moon phase. For 400 ports, there is a tidal curve predictions for the current day. This is extendable to the full 7 days with a one-off in-app purchase. With the curves you can see the height predicted for any time - or visa versa.
• Tidal Streams for 7 days. Pan and zoom the map to show your preferred area, and scroll along the time. Touch and hold to see the forecasted set and drift. This data covers the UK coastline except the north of Scotland, Outer Hebrides, Orkneys and Shetland Isles (i.e. roughly north of the Caledonian canal)
• Weather: the current Inshore and Shipping forecasts, and synoptic charts for Northern Atlantic and NW Europe.
• Navigation: displays your current GPS position, speed-over-ground, course-over-ground as well as distance and heading to user-configurable waypoints. Waypoints can be imported or exported as GPX files and ordered within the file to allow quick switching to the next waypoint. A built-in compass shows the direction to the current waypoint.
• Reference: a useful set of information easily to hand whether you're out on the water or doing your theory course. It currently includes:
- Day shapes
- Navigation lights
- Sound signals
- Beaufort scale
- Forecast terminology
- Inshore forecast areas map
- Signal flags & phonetic alphabet
- VHF Channel usage
- IALA A Buoyage
An internet connection is required for some features, although the data is then cached for short periods for use whilst out sailing. In practice, for weather you should aim to have a connection twice a day - and for tides every other day.
So, next time you are meeting the crew in the pub for planning your weekend, or when you're out enjoying it, take Boatie to have the key information you need with you on your iPhone.
Please do let me know your feedback - I'm always very grateful for the positive reviews entered in the app store - it's a great way of showing your appreciation and helps reassure others about to purchase. However, if you have questions, find problems or have suggestions for future improvements please use the facilities in the app or on my website to contact me. App store feedback is anonymous so I can't reply to comments made there.
Bug fix from 4.2.0 - and setting minimum iOS version to 8.
iPhone 6s / 6s Plus users can use 3d touch to launch the app. Choose between jumping straight to your last 2 ports, tidal streams or inshore forecasts.
- UKHO have decided that its better to publish 2 HW times for Portsmouth reflecting the start and end of the HW stand. The app now displays these times without them overlapping. Tidal streams are calculated from the first HW per the advice of UKHO. This change also affects secondary ports from Portsmouth in the Western Solent.
- 2016 Solent Racing Marks included
- Waypoints now have an appropriate icon in the list
- fixed a bug in which the general situation didn't always update or show at all.
- sadly, the synoptics are reduced to 3 charts as that is all the KNML now produce. They do update automatically again - and I'm looking at further options for longer term area forecasts.
A couple of additions to the reference library:
- IPTS lights
- Numerical signal flags
Plus several other minor bug fixes.
As always, please take a second to support me but leaving or updating app store feedback for each version.
Ratings and Reviews
A Good Teaching Aid
Besides being a simple and easy to use app, this is also useful for illustrating basic principles to novice sailors who can then go on to use the app to help plan their trips on the water. There are no apps that do everything, so I have several from which I can draw information so I don’t agree with those who expect this to be an all signing all dancing application.
A good addition to your toolbox for planning your days out.
I bought it for the interactive tidal stream which is really good but would be even better if more detailed. However, it is so much more than that. All of the information that you would want as a sailor collected together in one place. Really pleased with the app and would highly recommend it to others
Simple and efficient
Simple to use and well designed. Has everything you could need, the tidal atlas is excellent and intuitive. It's the best bit for me.
Could do with the ability to see more than 7 days ahead but that has not been a real problem.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.