Brainy Skills Sentence Combining app is designed to help children and young adults work on combining complete sentences to formulate and convey an effective message in a shorter, clear, concise way. The interactive format creates a challenging yet fun atmosphere to become a more versatile writer while eliminating needless repetitions and adding conjunctions when necessary to combine two separate sentences. Combining sentences is a necessary part of language and communication.
This app was created and written by a certified Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) along with a former teacher, who both have many years of hands on experience in a variety of settings, with typically developing and special needs children. While working with a large variety of younger and older school age children and seeing the difficulties with answering a variety of questions, the great need for a unique, motivating, fun and exciting way to help improve these skills was obvious. There is a need to combine learning with fun in order to improve and increase motivation, when grasping concepts to become a more effective writer. These skills are also needed to communicate effectively and hold conversations.This app can also be used for practicing reading, vocabulary, grammar and overall comprehension skills for middle and high school special needs students, and those looking for remedial practice.
Students can play on their own or with a caretaker, assistant, or therapist to guide them along and practice basic oral reading skills. There are also Brainy Bonuses that at times are tricky and review the core material. The bonuses differ in complexity, and offer an opportunity to earn more points.
Combining Independent Clauses:
Independent clauses are essentially two sentences that could stand on their own—in other words, they don’t "depend" on another clause to allow them to make sense. These sentences must be combined with the use of a connecting word known as a "conjunction." Some popular conjunctions often used to achieve this purpose are and, but, for, nor, or, so, and yet. Each expresses something different, so use them wisely!
• "And" means also or in addition.
• "But" expresses an opposite or different point of view.
• "For" expresses causation or result.
• "Nor" means an additional negative idea.
• "Or" reflects an additional point of view—the presence of choice.
• "So" indicates the progression of a thought.
• "Yet" expresses a contrast, similar to "but."
Combining Sentences with the Same Subjects and Verbs:
Sentences with the same subject can be combined, since you’re describing the same person, place, or thing completing different actions. This is very easy.
Here are six basic qualities to consider when you evaluate your new sentences:
1. Meaning. As far as you can determine, have you conveyed the idea intended by the original author?
2. Clarity. Is the sentence clear? Can it be understood on the first reading?
3. Coherence. Do the various parts of the sentence fit together logically and smoothly?
4. Emphasis. Are key words and phrases put in emphatic positions (usually at the very end or at
the very beginning of the sentence)?
5. Conciseness. Does the sentence clearly express an idea without wasting words?
6. Rhythm. Does the sentence flow, or is it marked by awkward interruptions? Do the
interruptions help to emphasize key points (an effective technique), or do they merely distract (an ineffective technique)?
• Complete sentences
• Combining sentences
• Independent clauses
• Sentence combination and word order
• Reading aloud/fluency practice
This app is an excellent teaching tool for a variety of ages of children with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, developmental delays, remedial review, and all language and speech delays.
• Added complete answer randomization
• Bug fixes
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- A Brainy Choice, Inc.
- 16.5 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 A Brainy Choice, Inc. All rights reserved.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.