Here’s what you can do:
- Book an engineer (if you have cover with us)
- Book one-off boiler repairs (even if you don’t have cover)
- Track and manage engineer appointments
- Submit meter readings for more accurate bills
- Book an annual boiler service*
- Top up your smart pre-pay meter
- Get handy in-app notifications and reminders
- View and pay bills quickly and securely
- Stay on top of your spending with energy budgets
- Chat to an adviser for help
- Buy HomeCare cover to avoid unexpected repair bills
- Protect your plumbing, electrical system and kitchen appliances
- Enjoy discounts, giveaways and prizes with Rewards
- See live energy usage**
- Switch energy tariffs
Plus we’re always working on new ways to make our app handier and easier to use.
**Requires a Trio II Smart Energy Monitor
*Your annual services may be more than 12 months apart
We’ve been busy fixing bugs to bring you a smoother experience.
And adding reminders to reschedule appointments if anyone at home feels unwell.
Any questions? Tap ‘Message us’ from the menu and let’s chat.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Blank screen & no real time accuracy
1) The app has the potential to be good but it has no real time accuracy regarding the actual balance left on your smart account. E.g. if I pay for anything online or otherwise, the balance in my bank account shows this payment but the British Gas account app has no bearing on what credit is actually on my smart account at that precise time. So it makes it hard to manage the account and keep it in credit appropriately.
2) when you open the app to make a payment on either gas or electricity, you go through to the screens to the utility you wish to pay for, chose the method of payment and then go to choose how much you wish to pay and at this point the screen goes blank white. You then have to close the app, re open it and log in all over again and start again to try to complete your transaction through on the second attempt. It’s a waste of time and annoying. It usually works on this second time. I am guessing these two issues are linked, and that the screen is going blank because the app is not originally updated with the real time account balance information. On the second time of logging in after the blank screen is gone through, the utilities show different credit balances than on the first attempt. But they still don’t tally with what is on your actual smart meter!
Developer Response ,
Hi ☕😊☕ thanks for the 3 stars 👍The best way to check your meter balance right now is on your smart meter or monitor. Our digital team are aware of the white screen fault and hoping to have this fixed in time for the next app release. If you need any help, please send a DM to @britishgashelp on Twitter or a PM on Facebook and we'll get back to you. Thanks, Mel
Not as good
After using the ‘pay as you go’ app for as long as it’s existed, I was dismayed to find that one day I simply couldn’t use it any more. I’d been having prompts to update to the ‘smart meter’ app for a while, but as I don’t have a smart meter, and my old app worked perfectly fine, I wasn’t going to update.
Then a few weeks ago I found that the old app presented me with a pop up window, pretty much demanding I update to the new app. I couldn’t get rid of the pop up window, even after closing things down and restarting my iPhone. This rendered my old working app useless, all I wanted was to submit a meter reading via the app, but couldn’t because of the update demand blocking my access. Eventually I had to log in via the web to submit a reading.
After reluctantly giving in to the prompt and updating to the ‘smart meter’ app, I now find that EVERY time I go to use it I have to log in as if it’s my first time, unlike the old app that left me logged in and made it so much easier to simply submit readings and view information. Oddly enough I can now use the old app again and have even seen reports of people being advised to use it over the ‘new improved’ app. Simply check the ratings on both apps, moral of the story is, don’t try and fix what isn’t broken.
Developer Response ,
Hi duncanwalker, the new app doesn't leave you logged in at the moment but are still looking at more features to add in the future. There are alternative ways you can set up to log into the app to make it a little quicker. If you need any help, please send a DM to @britishgashelp on Twitter or a PM on Facebook & we'll get back to you. Thanks, Mel
I was so happy to move on to a smart meter expecting accurate readings and controlling my spending. The device shows how much I’m spending but the sim of the app for me is exactly to have full control of how much and when to top up. So I’m very disappointed as the service is mediocre. I can’t have accurate readings as the app is always late to update data and far most important I would like to know exactly my usage from the app and not from the device. Specially if I’m away from home and leave people to look after my belongings so there is no point of downloading an app!!! The only thing it does is to top up. Other thing that is quite annoying is tht when I'm trying to top up the app crashes. If this happened on rare occasions I wouldn't have the trouble to leave a feedback but today for example has been a nightmare and I feel frustrated because we live in a digital era but it seems that not everyone is ready but somehow when advertising makes us to believe that it's simple to be in control and on top of everything. Right now I feel angry with this regular crashes and always when in need to top up. I'm not happy at all because I feel that I've been com and lured to change for something that doesn't work as expected. I want to be able to see my spending not seeing what I paid for because this is obvious as it shows on my bank statements. And the message for saying that not all costumers have this service makes me feel discriminated.
Developer Response ,
Hi, it's not good to read your review. This App isn't compatible with your type of meter at the moment but this may change in the future. For now you can use our other App ( just search for British Gas in the store ) or website www.britishgas.co.uk/login to top up and check your account details. Thanks, Jim
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.