The world’s oldest photography magazine is now available on the iPad and iPhone.
Each monthly issue for iPad includes stunning pictures, insightful interviews with award-winning professionals, special reports and in-depth reviews of the latest technology.
Read it first on the weekly iPhone editions, which include a selection of articles from that month's edition, in a format designed to be easy to read on the iPhone and published ahead of the printed magazine.
Two types of subscription are available:
iPad subscriptions include the monthly iPad edition, plus all weekly iPhone editions.
iPhone-only subscriptions include only the iPhone editions, for a lower price.
About British Journal of Photography:
Founded in 1854 to record the scientific development of a fledgling medium, these days BJP takes an international perspective on contemporary photography, focusing on fine art and documentary, and the cutting edge of editorial and commercial practices.
Each monthly edition (in print and iPad) focuses on a theme, including regular subjects such as Portraits, Education, Journeys and Community, and more esoteric ones such as Habitat or Small Town Inertia. We publish an annual review, Cool & Noteworthy, and an annual talent edition, Ones To Watch.
Each issue includes in-depth features and interviews. We seek out new talent to showcase in our Projects section, and in our Intelligence section we give you briefings and opinion on the latest thinking about the medium and how to make it work as a business.
For more than 160 years, British Journal of Photography has been inspiring people all over the world with incredible stories and images and with our iOS editions it has never been easier to stay in the know.
** Subscription terms and conditions
• iPad subscriptions are available from £5.99/$7.99 for one month to £49.99/$64.99 for one year
• iPhone subscriptions are available from £2.99/$3.99 for one month to £14.99/$19.99 for one year
• iPad subscriptions include access to all monthly iPad editions when using an iPad device, and all weekly iPhone editions when using an iPhone.
• iPhone only subscriptions are clearly marked as such within the app, and allow only access to the weekly iPhone editions when using an iPhone device.
• Subscriptions are available with durations from one month to one year. Your iTunes account will be charged the cost of the subscription when you choose to purchase a subscription.
• At the end of the subscription period, and unless you choose to cancel (see below), the subscription will renew. Your iTunes account will be charged the same cost within 24 hours prior to the end of the current subscription period.
• You may manage your subscription, or cancel this auto renewal, at any time via your iTunes Account settings. However, subscription sales are final. If you choose to cancel, your subscription will cease at the end of the current period - no refunds will be given.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited if you choose to purchase a subscription.
Bug fixes, performance improvements and UI updates.
Ratings and Reviews
Visually pleasing, with issues
Visually excellent with first class content, and the interface is basic but fine.
1) Most pages cannot be zoomed in. This is a problem for a photography magazine as sometimes we want to see detail, especially on smaller devices.
2) When exiting the app and returning, you return to the beginning not where you left off.
3) There doesn't seem to be a way to delete old editions to free space.
3) I've noticed that when a few editions have been downloaded the app crashes, scrambling the iPad pro's search screen and affecting the keyboard. This has happened twice and it seems it's the app.
These points aside, the content is excellent and the app, thus, recommended.
EDIT: have had to reduce the rating as this app crashes often - it doesn’t open, you have to reinstall it for it function, then it occurs again a few days later. It appears unstable. What a shame.
The content is great but the app keeps crashing and constantly needs reinstalling.
It also needs a function that allows you to remove downloaded issues.
I am fuming about this as they advertised access for just £1, supposedly to help us all out during Covid-19, but do not make it clear that they will then charge you the full price after 3 months. It’s disgraceful, with no obvious way to cancel access from within the app or via the website. I cannot recommend, especially given the appalling quality of half the photos in the magazine and the pretentiousness of the copy. Furious!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- 1854 Media Ltd
- 66.6 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- 17+ Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes Frequent/Intense Simulated Gambling Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humour Frequent/Intense Sexual Content or Nudity Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 1854 Media
- In-App Purchases
- BJP May 2013 £9.99
- May 2013 Issue 1 £0.99
- May 2013 Issue 2 £0.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.