The world’s oldest photography magazine is now available on the iPad and iPhone.
Each monthly issue for iPad includes stunning pictures, insightful interviews with award-winning professionals, special reports and in-depth reviews of the latest technology.
Read it first on the weekly iPhone editions, which include a selection of articles from that month's edition, in a format designed to be easy to read on the iPhone and published ahead of the printed magazine.
Two types of subscription are available:
iPad subscriptions include the monthly iPad edition, plus all weekly iPhone editions.
iPhone-only subscriptions include only the iPhone editions, for a lower price.
About British Journal of Photography:
Founded in 1854 to record the scientific development of a fledgling medium, these days BJP takes an international perspective on contemporary photography, focusing on fine art and documentary, and the cutting edge of editorial and commercial practices.
Each monthly edition (in print and iPad) focuses on a theme, including regular subjects such as Portraits, Education, Journeys and Community, and more esoteric ones such as Habitat or Small Town Inertia. We publish an annual review, Cool & Noteworthy, and an annual talent edition, Ones To Watch.
Each issue includes in-depth features and interviews. We seek out new talent to showcase in our Projects section, and in our Intelligence section we give you briefings and opinion on the latest thinking about the medium and how to make it work as a business.
For more than 160 years, British Journal of Photography has been inspiring people all over the world with incredible stories and images and with our iOS editions it has never been easier to stay in the know.
** Subscription terms and conditions
• iPad subscriptions are available from £5.99/$7.99 for one month to £49.99/$64.99 for one year
• iPhone subscriptions are available from £2.99/$3.99 for one month to £14.99/$19.99 for one year
• iPad subscriptions include access to all monthly iPad editions when using an iPad device, and all weekly iPhone editions when using an iPhone.
• iPhone only subscriptions are clearly marked as such within the app, and allow only access to the weekly iPhone editions when using an iPhone device.
• Subscriptions are available with durations from one month to one year. Your iTunes account will be charged the cost of the subscription when you choose to purchase a subscription.
• At the end of the subscription period, and unless you choose to cancel (see below), the subscription will renew. Your iTunes account will be charged the same cost within 24 hours prior to the end of the current subscription period.
• You may manage your subscription, or cancel this auto renewal, at any time via your iTunes Account settings. However, subscription sales are final. If you choose to cancel, your subscription will cease at the end of the current period - no refunds will be given.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited if you choose to purchase a subscription.
Bug fixes, performance improvements and UI updates.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Still no landscape view
The last review to mention this is now a year old, but there is still no facility to rotate the app to landscape view, neither is there the ability to zoom. This is madness, as the content is superb and I want to see more than a tiny thumbnail image. The app also appears not to support dynamic text sizing so we are stuck with the rather small font, which I struggle to read on the iPhone screen.
This really should be fixed as the app could be an otherwise excellent add-on to the print subscription. I won’t be buying the iPhone subs for the time-being.
Four months after significant problems when I first bought an annual subscription, the app wants to charge me for each issue.
The support staff have been helpful and charming but the subscription part of the app is hugely unstable.
An app providing an online magazine subscription should be pretty straightforward these days, so this is very disappointing.
Landscape format images do not display acceptably
Unfortunately, the iPad app can neither rotate nor zoom images. This means that landscape images have to be viewed in ‘segments’ dragging from page to page. Mark Power’s images in the April 2019 edition are pretty much unviewable. Disappointing.
Developer Response ,
Hello - thanks for your feedback on this. We're looking into the best way to show landscape images more effectively.
- 1854 Media Ltd
- 66.6 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Frequent/Intense Horror/Fear Themes
- Frequent/Intense Realistic Violence
- Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humour
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Frequent/Intense Sexual Content or Nudity
- Frequent/Intense Simulated Gambling
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 1854 Media
- In-App Purchases
- BJP May 2013 £9.99
- May 2013 Issue 1 £0.99
- May 2013 Issue 2 £0.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.