Brushes Redux is a painting app designed exclusively for iOS. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes Redux is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. Move paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go.
An accelerated OpenGL-based painting engine makes painting smooth and responsive — even with huge brush sizes. Brushes also records every step in your painting. Show off your creative process by replaying your paintings directly on your device.
– Create paintings with dimensions up to 4096x4096
– Full support for all Retina devices
– Background autosave
– Unlimited undo and redo
– Simple and approachable interface
– Full screen painting
– Record and replay paintings
– Ultrafast OpenGL-based painting engine
– Huge brush sizes up to 512x512 pixels
– Simulated pressure
– 64-bit painting on the latest hardware
– 14 parameterized brush shapes
– Adjustable brush settings (spacing, jitter, scatter, etc.)
– Adjustable color opacity
– Invert color and desaturate
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers
– Adjustable color balance (iPad only)
– Adjustable hue, saturation and brightness (iPad only)
– Create up to 10 layers
– Lock and hide layers
– Lock layer transparency
– Adjust layer opacity
– Duplicate, rearrange, and merge layers
– Change blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude
Import and Export:
– Integrated with Dropbox
– Import native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, and PNG files
– Export as native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, PNG, and Photoshop files (with layers)
– Place images from your photo album into paintings
– Copy paintings to the pasteboard
– Zoom with two finger pinch
– Zoom in with two finger double tap
– Zoom to fit with two finger double tap
– Toggle interface visibility with a single tap (this can be changed to a two finger tap in the app settings)
– Tap and hold to access eyedropper tool
Screenshot credit: "Portrait of Ally" by John Bavaro (http://johnbavaro.com)
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- The black artifacts are finally gone thanks to Patrice Kouame (SpiraMira)
- iPad Pro support
- Apple Pencil experimental support
- Better export support, which means you can now AirDrop, export to other apps directly from Brushes
- Import of editable Brushes files. Now you can open painting via AirDrop, from e-mails and continue working on the painting
- Enabled iTunes File Sharing to be able to access your paintings from a computer
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, but so much possibility!
I really love this app! It’s so useful, and my friends and I use it all the time, for all sorts of things, whether it’s little doodles or sketches or larger- scale things. It’s also very easy to use, and to easy to get to grips with.
A few ideas I have had are that could you possibly add a blending tool, to blend one colour into another? If so, this would be so useful! You could also make it so that you can work with other people on pieces of art, possibly using ICloud or making accounts with usernames and passwords. A final thing was that you could make tutorials that teach you how to draw certain things, maybe a new tutorial a month?
All in all, this is a wonderful app, and is better than all of the others on the App Store!
Good but bad quality
Ngl I’ve been trying about 30 drawing apps, seeking to see which fits me and my needs. I’m an artist with a vision of the world, and I like to paint my world as bright, beautiful, perfect, ideal.
A few months ago I came across this app and thought ‘oh, it’s free’, so I didn’t expect too much from it. However, this wowed me. So many different paintbrushes to choose from, also an infinite amount of colours. This was AMAZING how I could just edit all my art here to add a little volume and colour. However, when I found out more about the app, I became a bit disappointing. One thing with other drawing apps that require money to access is that they have excellent outstanding quality. So, like, if you zoom in, you cant see the little pixels because they’re way too small.
It was different in this app. If I ever zoomed into my drawings I could see that it was terrible quality and blurry. I did not want that. I would like for you to fix that so I can carry on leaving better and better reviews, and perhaps recommend this to my other artistic friends!
Other than that, if you aren’t looking to draw or paint anything detailed, this app is for you!!!
Brushes annoying bug
I like this app but two problems which are very annoying. The fact as soon as you tap the screen the screen disappears and secondly it's great to see the drawing develop with the video option but you can't save it. If you could sort these two issues out it would be a amazing app
The developer, Christoffer Hoel, has not provided details about its privacy practices and handling of data to Apple.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Christoffer Hoel
- 16 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with the Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Steve Sprang (Christoffer Hoel)
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.