Bulb - making energy simpler, cheaper, greener.
Rated 9.6/10 on Trustpilot
One tariff - 15% cheaper than the Big Six
100% green electricity and 10% green gas.
Download our app today to make managing your energy even simpler.
• Enter meter readings with a photo
• Check your balance
• See how much energy you’ve used
• Download statements
• Refer your friends
What people are saying about Bulb:
• “Bulb is challenging the big energy companies that dominate the UK market” - The Independent
• “The future is bright for Bulb” - TechWorld
• “Bulb are excellent - you'll never have an energy supplier like them” - Rebecca, Bulb member
• “Very friendly company with great customer service, good rates and an easy-to-use website.” - Alex, Bulb member
• “They send quirky fun emails and make everything easy!” - Chloe, Bulb member
The weather giveth, and the weather taketh away. But not our app team. They just giveth and giveth.
This time, they've wrapped up some tasty meter reading improvements. When you enter a reading and have more than one meter for that fuel type, you'll be prompted to enter one for the next meter of that fuel type. And when you look at your meter readings you'll see tabs for those other meters.
We refreshed our icons to be clearer, which wasn't essential but seemed like a nice thing to do.
Ratings and Reviews
The app is very simple to use & keeps your account up to date when you use it to enter meter readings etc. You can make changes to your monthly payments in an instant & the information they give you is jargon free. When your monthly metre reading is due they send you an email to remind you, & you can follow the link from the email or go through the app. Both ways communicate with each other & they don’t seem to get confused if you use the app one month & email another. I find the app useful to help me monitor my historical energy usage now that we have had some external wall insulation.
App is not accessible with voice-over for the iPhone.
Hi, I have a new bulb customer, and I find the app is not accessible with VoiceOver on the iPhone. For any developer who doesn’t know, voice-over is the one and only screen reader for the iPhone. A screen reader convert text into speech so the blind people can use the iPhone and apps successfully. If apps are not correctly coded with accessibility in mind, the voice-over software built-in to all iPhones cannot use the app. This means that blind people cannot use the app successfully, and therefore locked them out of the service. Please test your app with voice-over for compatibility! For a customer facing app, this is disgraceful. Please fix this I am a new customer, and expect my apps to work with my screen reader. Please note, the Bulb website is pretty good with jaws for windows, but the app which is made for Apple devices, which only have one screen reader for them, should be compatible with that screen reader. I expect full compatibility within the next app, as Apple have a website dedicated to accessibility for web developers. This is within the SDK. Thank you.
Developer Response ,
The latest version of the app – 1.8.8 – should be fully compatible with VoiceOver, so please look out for an update. We released this yesterday, but releases are rolled-out gradually, so you should be offered an update in the next 7 days.
Our app, like the website, was designed to be fully accessible. Unfortunately some bugs had crept in recently that have meant VoiceOver hadn't been working. We're really sorry about that, these have been fixed in 1.8.8, and we've implemented new testing processes to ensure that doesn't happen again.
Please drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having issues after the update, or if there is if you have any other suggestions on how we can better serve our members with accessibility needs.
Best, Team Bulb
Easy to use but too simple
I’ve used a lot of other energy suppliers’ apps for g&e and this one is great it works never breaks and very easy to navigate. However it’s missing some features which I would expect to find:
1. There are no usage graphs contained in the app (as it stands now) I’d like to keep an eye on my usage so we don’t go burning away g&e and racking up larger bills. Some simple month by month graphs and yearly comparisons would be nice!
2. Most other companies provide a comparison by postcode as to how you match up against others in your area in terms of usage. This is a great way of understanding whether you are using more energy than necessary. This is particularly useful when a fault appears with something in your household and you start to burn more energy than necessary unbeknown to the homeowner. Such as a central heating problem or an electrical appliance not shutting off properly.
Please add these features Bulb. They’re pretty simple integrations, it’s basic data reporting information!
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the detailed feedback and pleased to hear you find it easy to use. We're working hard to improve the app without losing ease-of-use, and giving members a better overview/understanding of their usage is one of the areas we'd like to make better. I'll make sure the team sees your suggestions.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.