Make boarding, tracking and accessing everything about trains easier than ever before. Personalised to you, ByTrain gives you access to the information you need, when you need it.
POWERFUL JOURNEY PLANNER
- Plan your next journey with shortcuts to your home, work and recent stations
- Receive push notifications detailing service delays, cancellations, platform changes, service operator incidents and London Underground line status updates
- Set reminders to leave for the station depending on the current traffic and weather conditions
- Find trains fast with Siri Shortcuts integration
- Prepare for planned engineering works
- Receive detailed explanations for delays and cancellations
- Options to set via stations, direct trains only and more
- Automatically sync journeys with your calendar
- Includes buses, ferries and support for the London Underground
EFFECTIVE TRAIN TRACKER
- View real-time departures and arrivals
- Track the progress of your commute with minute by minute updates
- Get notified of any disruption with the live network status of every rail operator
- Avoid sleeping through your destination by scheduling alarms to wake you up in time to leave
- Support for station board filtering by station or platform
- Check for service alterations
- Share your train with family or friends and make pickups easy
COMPREHENSIVE RAIL KNOWLEDGE
- View a station's facilities or prepare for an easier commute with impaired access information available for every station
- Know your station's car park charges and opening times
- View the historical performance of your journey
- Easy access to your service operator's customer service, lost property and delay compensation details
- Get walking and driving directions to any station
- Apple Watch support
- No advertisements and no pressure to buy tickets
- View history and statistics on your lifetime's rail travel
- Comprehensive accessibility support
- Beautiful and intuitive interface focussed on clarity and productivity
- Friendly customer support provided as standard
This update brings general stability and performance improvements
Ratings and Reviews
I LOVE this app.
There’s no other way to say it. I LOVE this app. More specifically, its design: the way it takes the information it has, and puts it all to the user in a clean, clear and elegant fashion, and in a way that fully takes advantage of inbuilt elements of the iOS interface.
This app is so well designed it’s staggering. I (very occasionally) do some hobbyist iOS development, and I would *dream* to be able to come up with designs even *close* to matching the level of layout perfection on display here.
And yes, I know that I’ve just spend two paragraphs reviewing a rail app without even mentioning trains, but that’s what the design does to you(!). It’s mesmerising just how good it looks. There’s no clutter anywhere, I’ve yet to see anything that looks out of place, and the way it effortlessly morphs around inbuilt designs and UI features is honestly breathtaking.
This app is a stunning example of just how well designed iOS apps can be. 👏
(Just in case it seems like I’m trying to detract from the actual functionality of the app in my review: I’m not! The app does what it says it does [and more], and does it very well. But, to a point, there are lots of apps that do the job of querying the UK rail network. Because of this, one thing that sets them apart is just how well they’re designed. Some are an absolute eyesore [I’m looking at you, NRE…!], but others — such as this masterpiece — are a testament to just how well apps can be built.)
Just saw this app’s developer, who’s still in school won a scholarship to visit WWDC and out of support, I downloaded it to give it a try. But I totally did not except such an amazing and fully-featured app. As a Londoner who lives at an area that does not have a tube station, I heavily rely on rail to get to Central London and/or other areas. This app is far superior to competitors at what it does: show you when your train’s leaving, what platform, what time, delay notifications and a live location of the train and an overview of the stops. Simple, uncluttered and fast. I don’t need a thousand different options when I commute, I just need to know when’s the next train coming and on what platform. This app covers this precisely and does so in a beautiful, minimalistic design. Giving this a 5-star rating which it honestly deserves, and a well done to the lad who built it. 👏👏👏
Best Rail User App I’ve Found
When my previous favourite rail app stopped working (Train Times) I tried several others but none had two features I used most: a quick link to find the next trains home, and the ability to pin and follow a specific train. This app didn’t have either but a clean interface and I had work-arounds. Today’s V4 update added both my wanted extra features. Great so I’ve made the donation payment (£4.99) - well worth it.
Update Feb 2020: The new “Pro” option, requiring an annual subscription, has removed notifications of disruptions or engineering works from the standard version. Not a feature I really need but it was useful to be able to see them when I wanted. I initially removed one star for the change but, having had a reply from the author, I can accept it was an appropriate move.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Alexander MacLeod
- 23.3 MB
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 13.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2022 Alexander MacLeod
- In-App Purchases
- ByTrain Pro £9.99
- Optional Donation £4.49
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.