Byword makes writing notes and long-form texts easier on your Mac.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing easier with Markdown
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for extra efficiency
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote
# Blog publishing
Publish to Medium, WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger and Evernote from Byword. Posting to your blog with Byword is as simples as:
1. Write something in Byword
2. Open File menu and select Publish
3. Confirm metadata
# More features
- List continuations
- Typewriter scrolling mode
- Great text manipulation helpers
- Word and character counters with live update
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
- Extensive VoiceOver API support for visual impaired users
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Enhanced for macOS Mojave
- Match System Preferences' Dark appearance
- Tabs: Merge multiple documents in one window (Window > Merge All Windows)
- iCloud Drive: Sync your documents seamlessly across your devices and apps
- Handoff: Start writing on your iPhone and pick up where you left off when you sit down at your Mac
- Split screen: In case you need an extra window side by side for research
- Full screen: Get even more immersed in your words
- Autosave: Time to stop worrying about saving your work
- Versions: Review past iterations of your compositions
- Resume: Always open your documents where you left off
- Tags: A powerful new way to organize your files
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support over email. If you have suggestions or questions, please contact us using one the methods below.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent Support for Markdown
Cheesy part: Im a longtime Byword user and love the cleanliness of this app, and the way it has evolved over time blah blah blah…
Useful part: It has excellent Markdown (including tables!) and HTML support. Only one slight issue that I have noticed thus far: when you link a photo from and iOS device’s photo app, then come to open the same doc on the Mac, I often encounter fidelity issues, mostly to do with orientation. Small bug.
AOB: This app has been in existence for a few years (5?), with regular updates.
My Go-To Writing App
I create a lot of content for my job every single day and it always starts on Byword. At some point I made the mental leap into writing in markup language and that has become an incredible help in structuring my work.
Writing like this inside Byword with it's preview, syncing and publishing abilities gets my work online faster than ever.
Problems with PDF output
This is my first day with Byword and I’m really frustrated.
I looked in Byword's Preferences to discover that it does not include any options to control the output style. So I have had to create and refine a css file to produce output matching the style of my existing Markdown documents. But now, as I am writing this review, I have a document in Byword which, when exported to html it looks just right but when exported to PDF I see annoying differences. So how can I control the style of PDF output? Since PDF is my main output I have to conclude that Byword is a waste of time and money for me.
I also expected a better dictionary / grammar checker. It is not checking as you type and it missed some obvious errors.
Exactly 2 weeks ago I sent a query to the Byword email address listed above and I have not received an acknowledgment or response to my query. That should have been my warning!
- Metaclassy, Lda
- 3.3 MB
OS X 10.10 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Metaclassy, Lda.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.