Full wordlist and sample entries are available to preview the dictionary content and to try the app functionality.
Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary contains over 230,000 pronunciations of words, names and phrases, including personal names, company names, and words related to science and technology. It is the definitive guide to contemporary pronunciation for British and American English.
***** Very useful! Ideal for those who want to improve their pronunciation. Thanks!
***** Absolutely love it. The best pronouncing dictionary every, great help for learners of English. Warning: no definitions, “just” pronunciation.
***** Very good in pronunciation teaching. Ideal for those who study or work in translation and interpretation and for English teachers, who should avoid the most errors with pronunciations.
**** Great source for spelling checks and pronunciation. Superb! Everyone needs it.
• British and American English audio pronunciations, recorded by native speakers
• Flash Card Quiz to help you memorize new words and test your pronunciation
• Favourites - to help you quickly access frequently searched words
• Search History to revise your recent searches
• CEPD will understand and find a word from any grammatical form
• iOS Share. Select any text on Safari sites, emails and share with CEPD to get words’ pronunciations
• Multiple clipboard look-up. Copy any text from other apps and to see words’ pronunciations one by one when you open the CEPD
• Similar Words Search in case of misspelling
• Wildcard Search. Use “?” and “*” symbols to replace letters if you’re unsure of the correct spelling.
• Anagram Search (e.g. tab-bat)
• No Internet connection required
• Modify animated menus and choose background colours
• Enlarge or reduce font size for your comfort
• PenReader multilingual handwriting recognition support
Founded in the mid-16th century, Cambridge University Press is a world-leading publisher of English learning materials. Playing a leading role in today's global educational market, Cambridge University Press publishes titles written by authors in over 100 different countries.
Updated to improve compatibility with the latest version of iOS.
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent content, but UX can improve
The content of the dictionary is great, it's perfect. All words include UK and American pronunciation, with both the International Phonetic Alphabet transcription and audio recordings, and words include derived words and conjugations. Extremely useful.
The UX can be better, though. The app hasn't been updated to the latest iPhones, so it appears in compatibility mode with black bars top and bottom of the screen.
When you are inside the definition of a word, it requires two uncomfortable taps to start a new search:
1. tapping the back button in the top left corner, far away from the keyboard, and then
2. tapping the search clear button, which is also far away from the keyboard
It would be great if there was one button to start a new search from the word definition page.
Excellent. I LOVE it
I absolutely love this dictionary. It's definitely my favourite when I want to check pronunciations. I am extremely happy I found it as I had been waiting for an IPA pronunciation dictionary app like this for a long time. I can find the pronunciation of words (place names, people's names etc) that I could never find in any other dictionary. I really really hope the developers will keep it updated and always compatible with the latest IOS.
Useless free version
I bought couple of dictionary apps (idioms and PhrasalVerbs) from them for two digit price tag and one of them Is not even available as they don't update it for newer IOS other is hanging on thread so anyone want to buy pricey full version better be carful as they don't bother to update
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Cambridge University Press
- 44.3 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © Cambridge University Press
- In-App Purchases
- Cambridge English Pronouncing Dictionary, 18th edition £12.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.