The new Good Beer Guide mobile app has been the focus of intensive technical user experience development work to deliver a host of enhanced features.
New features accessible to all users include:
- Expanded basic search options providing listings of more pubs near you.
- Larger pub database contains enhanced listings for over 4,500 Good Beer Guide pubs and basic information on over 31,000 real ale pubs around the UK.
- Join the Good Beer Guide community with news feed and buddies social networking functions that allow you to let other users know where you are and what you are enjoying instantly.
- Share the moments with those who can't be there using integrated image capture features.
- Access even more detailed search results, including Good Beer Guide pub descriptions.
- Find over 7,000 real ales with tasting notes and information of over 1,400 UK breweries.
- Not sure what to pick at the bar, use the image capture feature to instantly search for a real ale, and then tag it for other visitors.
In-App subscribers get even more...
- Access even more detailed search results, including Good Beer Guide pub reviews.
- Open your Beer Book to find over 7,000 real ales with tasting notes and information of 1,400 UK breweries.
Our Auto-Renewable One Year Subscriptions cost £0.99 monthly, £1.99 quarterly, or just £4.99 yearly.
- Payment will be charged to iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
- Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period.
- Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal.
- Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase.
- No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
Terms and Conditions: https://gbgapp.camra.org.uk/terms
Minor bug fixes
Ratings and Reviews
I got the App after buying the GBG so as to locate real ale pubs whilst out and about. In terms of pub finding- spot on. What is not known, are any pubs missed off? But not an issue as there are plenty of pubs to try, many of which are serendipitous experiences.
With respect to the listing of beers, there are lots of gaps in the database. I suspect over time this will be resolved.
After paying the annual subscription, which due me is worth it with my travels, I was pointed to the CAMRA What Pub website. I had a look and concluded there is the same info as the App, but for out and about use I find the App so much better, as I arrive somewhere and then look rather than use advance planning.
As a user of the mobile version of the GBG for at least five years including before the huge change to the more ‘social’ version it is kind of getting better but still one of my regularly used apps that had bugs, at least in my experience.
The near constant pop up request for Apple ID details when just using the app is annoying, especially as iOS doesn’t allow one to switch apps without killing the password box so if you have a complex password on your Apple ID which is saved in a password manager app it’s difficult to deal with. Yes that kind of Apple issues but no other app I use a lot prompt for Apple ID details as much as this one.
The what are you drinking function when checking in is a bit pointless as it doesn’t know many ales, it’s trying to be line other social beer apps but without the data. And at least on my XS going into that area means one has to kill the app as well the back link doesn’t work as in the taskbar area of the screen. Come on camra, the iPhone X with this screen layout has been out for 18 months.
As a camra member for 15+ years I so want this app to be perfect and it could be albeit like many people I use it primarily what the older non-social version was and why this is always renewed every year, it saves buying 8 carrying the paper version of the GBG around! Either fix the issues or strip out the not really working ‘social’ stuff.
Content fine, application needs improvement
The GBG has become a trusted and essential aid to any night out, especially when travelling. The difficulty was that the hard copy was heavy and unwieldy so having it on your device made so much sense. The problem was that the programme was rushed into service with issues unresolved, for example; updates do not happen, pubs are removed from the Guide but these continue to appear online; the Google system used fails repeatedly to remember individual users so you have to log in time and again; and the memory of your previous notes on visits can partially vanish. Despite these issues, which with any other app would lead to the delete button being deployed, the content, namely the various pubs, their beers and contact details, remain highly important and the Guide retains it’s status as a valuable aid. If only the backup services were more in place, clear contact details and responses to requests for help made a higher priority, then maybe I could give it a higher rating.
- Campaign for Real Ale Ltd
- 103.4 MB
- Food & Drink
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this application.
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2017 Campaign for Real Ale Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Good Beer Guide Full Access £4.99
- Good Beer Guide Full Access £0.99
- Good Beer Guide Full Access £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.