ChirpOMatic - Birdsong Europe 4+
Bird Song ID for W. Europe
Spiny Software Ltd
Designed for iPad
"Top of the pile of bird song recognition apps" - Bird Watching magazine
The only birdsong app that can safely be used on nature reserves!
Featured by Apple in "Celebrate Springtime" and "App of the Day".
Heard a bird and want to know what it is? Just tap the red button to make a recording and ChirpOMatic will do the rest. The app will check your recording against a library of birds from any European country and provide you with a match, along with a photo of the bird, and a clear cut description of the sound. If you don't have your phone with you, you can use your Apple Watch to record sounds for identification later.
Your recordings are stored along with the date, time and location. They can be shared using AirDrop, WhatsApp, Messages, or Email.
Why is ChirpOMatic the best birdsong app for you?
• No subscription and no need to register. This highly accurate app is yours for little more than the cost of a high-street coffee.
• Frequently updated, so you can be sure that the app will always run on the latest operating system.
• First-class customer support. We reply to emails within 48 hours.
• We respect your privacy. We do not collect recordings, or any of your personal data, from the app.
Why is ChirpOMatic the best birdsong app for birds?
• Recordings of bird songs disturb nesting birds, distracting them from the essential tasks of defending their territory and feeding their young. ChirpOMatic is the only bird sound app that is safe to use anywhere, at any time, because it's the only app with 'Bird-safe Mode'. When this is switched on, you have to hold the phone to your ear as though making a phone call in order to hear the sounds. This ensures that birds are not disturbed.
• ChirpOMatic is the only bird app that changes to ‘dark mode’ at night. This prevents light from a bright screen disturbing birds.
Not suitable for iPhone 6 or earlier. Contact us if you are in doubt.
PLEASE NOTE! This version of the app is for Europe. For North American birds please search for ChirpOMatic USA.
Extra bird information added.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, especially for beginners
To my shame, I do not know too much about our native birds in the UK. But with this app I am beginning to learn more, and it is very enjoyable to do so. I hear a bird singing in my garden , on a walk, or wherever. And out comes my phone, tap on the app, tap on ‘record’ , wait a few seconds….. then, by way of identifying the bird, you are either (a) given the name of a single bird to consider as the actual provider of the sound you have heard and you can select yes or no (you do this by playing the app’s own recording of the suggested bird’s sound, then agreeing or disagreeing) OR (b) when the quality of your recording is less than perfect (background noise etc), you may be given a shortlist of candidates, and by the above process you may be able to whittle it down to one bird. Once you have identified the bird, the app provides a bit more information about the chirpy chappie. And you have the satisfactory feeling of knowing a little bit more about the natural environment you live in. And your recording gets added to your ‘library’.
Thank you so much for providing this incredible app.
Clearly it cannot produce 100% accurate results, but in my experience of using it over around 6 months, providing you give the app a fighting chance by trying to record the song in isolation (of course this is often tricky to do!) and without extraneous noises, I’m amazed at how frequently it gets the right results. Such fantastic technology always at hand! What a thrill to identify one of the less common birds! I could go on!
Usefull but confused by background sounds
Probably impossible to get this app perfect because it is rare to get a recording without either other bird sounds or background road traffic which cause spurious results. However I have found it a useful guide and it is better when you get home and use online analysis. Also you have evidence a species was present at a certain area on a recorded date. I got it to help identify warblers and although It hasn’t got the result correct in first place very often if you take several records and compare with the sample recordings you get the correct identification. At present I do not trust it without a good sighting to verify. I expect to get more proficient with practice and I’ve only made around 30 recordings so far and expect to be more confident with increased use.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Spiny Software Ltd
- 351.9 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Spiny Software
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.