Reliable weather forecasts for astronomers with an emphasis on cloud cover.
• Seven day hourly forecasts, updated hourly.
• Low, medium, high and total cloud cover.
• Moon rise/set times and phase.
• Sun rise/set and transit.
• Civil/nautical/astronomical darkness.
• ISS pass-over information.
• Automatically provides a forecast for your current location.
• Save favourite locations for easy access.
• Daytime forecasts for solar observers/imagers.
Updated hourly. Frequent hourly updates are important because often the clear spell between showers provides excellent seeing and 30-minutes under a clear sky with a grab-&-go telescopes is pure gold!
Did you notice the ISS pass-over information? The times are precisely calculated for your location and displayed alongside the cloud forecasts so it has never been easier to observe. It is our favourite feature :-)
Also includes regular weather data (wind, rain, frost, temperature, dew point, etc) so perfect for those wanting a detailed weather forecast, without cutesy graphics.
We have had a lot of fun building and testing Clear Outside and are keen to to develop it further so if you find it useful or have suggestions, please let us know.
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app. So much required detail and just what I need. Looking for one more, well, maybe two more features.
It would be great if you could add a custom location based on your GPS (like an address book entry for current location even?). Also, I can’t seem to add in negative longitude or even paste into that box so I can’t add locations near to where I am which is a shame. Otherwise it would be five stars for sure!
Superb simple little app with plenty of info
I've been using this app for only a short time but from a landscape photographer's viewpoint the app is really useful, giving clear & simple ratings for visibility, chance of rain and the really great division of cloud cover into low, medium & high (high clouds make good sunsets, low clouds ruin them) plus a summary of the ephemera for the sun & moon. Seems pretty accurate based on my home location.
Suggestions to the app builders?
- Rise/set times & bearings for the galactic centre (gamma 2 Sagittarius or A* sgr) for planning Milky Way photography
- a notification to let you know that there should be a dark, moonless night and if possible that it should be relatively clear skies
This app works a treat for an amateur astronomer like me. Can have different 'favourited' locations or just easily tap the button to show your current location (in case you're in the middle of nowhere and need a cloud forecast!)
Originally, I only needed app that told me what the cloud cover would be like - since I live in England, a super clear night is always a rarity. However, knowing other conditions like fog, temperature etc means I can plan out an entire night of looking through the telescope, rather than being disappointed when I find I can't see anything.
Overall a great FREE app ! No paid add-ons, just a great gift to astronomers new and experienced.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- First Light Optics Ltd
- 760.8 KB
- Requires iOS 7.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 7.1 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2014 First Light Optics
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.