Codeword Unlimited is an application to play the popular word game known as Codeword (also known as Cipher crosswords or Cyptograms). This game uses UK English spellings or US English spellings (user choice).
The words to find are in English, or you can play in 35 other languages.
For those unfamiliar with Codeword puzzles, they provide a grid of words, similar to a normal crossword, but with no clues, rather a few initially provided letters, and a number in each square in the gird to indicate its (as yet unknown) letter. All boxes with the same number must use the same letter. From that information and the few initially provided letters it is possible to work out which words will fit in the boxes. Hence you are decoding (or decyphering) the numbers into letters to reveal the hidden words. Usually all 26 letters of the alphabet are used in the codeword, although not always (and unused letters appear crossed out in the keyboard). It is fun, challenging, and a real brain teaser.
1) Unlimited number of codewords!! They are created on-the-fly using the application's advanced generator engine and it's built-in word list
2) The player decides the number of rows and columns (from 3 to 20). This allows the game to be suitable for all kinds of mobile-phones and tablets
3) Difficultly level can be specified by the user, which determines the pool of words the generator will use. The larger the pool the greater the difficulty. There is even an early learner mode with a limited number of words, aimed at children and English language learners. The number of starting letters can also be specified. Higher scores can be obtained with more difficult codewords
4) Selecting a square in the grid will highlight all places the same letter is used in that grid (i.e. has the same number to decipher). This is really handy and of course not possible when doing codewords in a magazine
5) If a game is too difficult, the application provides two useful tools to help you (see below)
6) For any word in the grid for which all squares are assigned to letters, Codeword Unlimited will highlight if that word is NOT an allowed word in the word list it uses to generate its codewords. This helps you when you have mistakes in your current assignments (saving you lots of time and frustration!)
7) An on-screen keyboard means it is much easier and more comfortable to play
8) The definition of a completed word can be viewed. This is useful if you do not know it, or you are learning a foreign language (internet connection required)
9) Choose the language of the word list, from a large range of downloadable dictionaries. 36 languages are currently available (see below)
10) Can be played in portrait or landscape mode. Just rotate your device and the display adjusts automatically
Other similar applications want you to pay for more puzzles, but this game provides you with endless puzzles, all for free!!.
Each game is assigned a difficulty level from 0 (easy) to 9 (very hard). The difficulty level is determined by the settings or the difficulty selector. Each difficulty level maintains the high scores (measured by fastest time to complete the game). The game displays the best 20 scores for each difficulty level.
If the player is in difficulty, the application provides two very useful aids
1) The game can provide another decoded letter
2) The game can show you potential answers for an uncompleted word. The game uses the letters that you have already decoded and displays the matching words
You can play this app in the following languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Polish, Hungarian, Czech, Russian, Arabic, Bulgarian, Croatian, Greek, Indonesian, Romanian, Serbian, Serbo-Croatian, Slovak, Slovene, Turkish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans, Albanian, Azeri, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Catalan, Galician, Tagalog
1) New languages: Afrikaans, Albanian, Azeri, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Catalan, Galician, Tagalog
2) The tutorial is now translated into all supported languages
Ratings and Reviews
Great game - poor vocabulary and dictionary
The gameplay is simple but challenging, efficient and enjoyable. But the words themselves are not sourced from English alone, as you can see when you look some of them up in the horrid dictionary. Look up sarcomata - you get a panel saying English, Noun, sarcomata, plural of sarcoma. Select sarcoma for another panel - this lists Etymology, Pronounciation, Noun, and finally a definition. Fascinating stuff, all of it, but largely irrelevant, and annoying when you know you will never find the word in any other context. Please get a better, English dictionary which caters fro plurals and provides the meaning up front.
This is an excellent app. I was concerned when I read on intrusive advertising. I’ve found the ads to be entirely acceptable. I very good feature is the automatic movement of the active square, particularly for the final letter which is often tricky to locate. There are time penalties when one uses hints which, while dispiriting, serve to concentrate the mind and dissuade the player from taking the easy option.
Conclusion: Well worth the five stars.
Love this game. Only gripe is the clock. Just played a game. Took 4 minutes. Clock said it took 49 minutes! Have been checking and always wrong. So my stats are meaningless.
Also would like to fill in my squares myself as you do with a paper puzzle. Could be a setting. Otherwise great!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Havos Ltd
- 89.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian Bokmål, Norwegian Nynorsk, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © Havos Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- Supporter (no ads) £4.99
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.