‘It’s much more convenient than taking a big book with you...the Collins app is fantastic.’
– Chris Packham, Metro
‘The Collins Bird Guide app is destined to become a real triumph, the ultimate in field guide apps — and deservedly so.’
The Collins Bird Guide App combines world-class illustrations and comprehensive information with intuitive design to create the ultimate field guide for passionate birders and casual birdwatchers alike. The app is based on the landmark book by Lars Svensson, Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström, universally acknowledged as the standard European field guide. This definitive work has been reimagined for iPad and iPhone by birders for birders.
The Collins Bird Guide App provides everything you need to identify a species quickly and learn about it thoroughly. Immerse yourself in the exceptional illustrations, maps, calls and concise text. Use the powerful search filter and curated confusion lists to focus in on a species. The Collins Bird Guide App is an essential companion always to hand on your iPhone, and available to browse in full glory on your iPad.
• Over 700 species covered
• 3500+ beautiful illustrations by Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström
• Detailed text covering habitat, range, identification and voice by Lars Svensson
• Record sightings, location and date with the listing tool
• Powerful search filter
• Intuitive design to quickly and easily swipe through species
• Curated lists of confusable species
• Over 750 carefully selected songs and calls – many by Lars Svensson
• Select species names from 18 languages
• Expertly edited video clips for all 794 species in the app (In-App Purchases)
• Available in English, Swedish, Norwegian, French and German
• Weighs nothing!
As well as the optional video library, the app incorporates British Trust for Ornithology/BirdWatch Ireland/Scottish Ornithologists' Club Bird Atlas 2007–11 mapping data as an in-app purchase, providing the most comprehensive location mapping of any bird guide app.
Find out more about the app and its creators: collinsbirdguideapp.com
The Collins Bird Guide app requires iOS 9.0 or later.
If you like the Collins Bird Guide app, don’t forget to share the app, rate it and leave a review.
Improved the reliability of video downloads on iOS 16. Added species names for Chinese, Croatian, Japanese, Serbian and Ukrainian
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, issue with In App Purchases
Have just downloaded this app to my iPad and IPhone. It is essentially the book with some additional features, such as being able to compare different species, bird songs and calls. Haven't yet explored all the facilities yet though!
One issue is the In App Purchases. The app comes with sample videos, presumably to tempt you to buy additional videos, which you will probably want to make the most of the app. Volume 1 is over 100 additional videos of common birds which is £5.99. I bought this but it came up with the message "not enough disk space" when I knew I had plenty.
To resolve this problem, I went to Settings and selected Restore App Purchases, the videos then downloaded.
Great for ID, but listing function cd be better
This is a great resource for bird ID - I love the Collins Bird Guide book and this saves having to take it out with me when birding. I love the ability to compare different species. I was really excited to see it included functionality for recording sightings & holding more than 1 list but it is still very clunky. It would be so much better if it could:
- quickly add a bird sighting to more than 1 list (eg local AND UK, or Year list AND Life List) rather than having to make separate entries
- keep a tally of total species seen, not just individual sightings. At present the same bird seen twice in different locations adds it as two sightings to your total. So if you are doing eg. My #200BirdYear you have to keep a separate tally elsewhere, which is frustrating.
If the app does allow these things, then it isn’t clear how to do them - I have looked in Settings but the option isn’t there. It would be a 5 Star app if it also offered these things which some other (even free) bird listing apps have.
Most comprehensive field guide app available
I’ve been using this app for almost 5 years. It’s an incredible tool for those of you who are not well versed in the ornithology of the U.K./Europe and North Africa. The features that help narrow down likely species in certain countries and habitats based in the info you supply from your own visual assessments will catapult your learning and is far easier than flicking through the book version.
I work as a professional ornithologist and this app is such a vital tool not only saving weight on the bulky books I used to carry but also providing a lot of the songs and calls alongside the classic Collins ID plates. If I ever need to double check anything this is always my first port of call.
Cannot recommend it enough, it’s pricey... but so is the book and this covers far more.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- NatureGuides Ltd.
- 1.1 GB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, French, German, Norwegian Bokmål, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © NatureGuides Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- BTO Atlas Maps Pack £1.79
- Video Library Volume 1 £4.99
- Video Library Volume 2 £7.99
- Video Library Volume 3 £7.99
- DDA Maps £1.79
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.