‘It’s much more convenient than taking a big book with you...the Collins app is fantastic.’
– Chris Packham, Metro
‘The Collins Bird Guide app is destined to become a real triumph, the ultimate in field guide apps — and deservedly so.’
The Collins Bird Guide App combines world-class illustrations and comprehensive information with intuitive design to create the ultimate field guide for passionate birders and casual birdwatchers alike. The app is based on the landmark book by Lars Svensson, Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström, universally acknowledged as the standard European field guide. This definitive work has been reimagined for iPad and iPhone by birders for birders.
The Collins Bird Guide App provides everything you need to identify a species quickly and learn about it thoroughly. Immerse yourself in the exceptional illustrations, maps, calls and concise text. Use the powerful search filter and curated confusion lists to focus in on a species. The Collins Bird Guide App is an essential companion always to hand on your iPhone, and available to browse in full glory on your iPad.
• Over 700 species covered
• 3500+ beautiful illustrations by Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterström
• Detailed text covering habitat, range, identification and voice by Lars Svensson
• Record sightings, location and date with the listing tool
• Powerful search filter
• Intuitive design to quickly and easily swipe through species
• Curated lists of confusable species
• Over 750 carefully selected songs and calls – many by Lars Svensson
• Select species names from 18 languages
• Expertly edited video clips for all 794 species in the app (In-App Purchases)
• Available in English, Swedish, Norwegian, French and German
• Weighs nothing!
As well as the optional video library, the app incorporates British Trust for Ornithology/BirdWatch Ireland/Scottish Ornithologists' Club Bird Atlas 2007–11 mapping data as an in-app purchase, providing the most comprehensive location mapping of any bird guide app.
Find out more about the app and its creators: collinsbirdguideapp.com
The Collins Bird Guide app requires iOS 9.0 or later.
If you like the Collins Bird Guide app, don’t forget to share the app, rate it and leave a review.
Minor bug fixes and tweaks
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great app, issue with In App Purchases
Have just downloaded this app to my iPad and IPhone. It is essentially the book with some additional features, such as being able to compare different species, bird songs and calls. Haven't yet explored all the facilities yet though!
One issue is the In App Purchases. The app comes with sample videos, presumably to tempt you to buy additional videos, which you will probably want to make the most of the app. Volume 1 is over 100 additional videos of common birds which is £5.99. I bought this but it came up with the message "not enough disk space" when I knew I had plenty.
To resolve this problem, I went to Settings and selected Restore App Purchases, the videos then downloaded.
Great for ID, but listing function cd be better
This is a great resource for bird ID - I love the Collins Bird Guide book and this saves having to take it out with me when birding. I love the ability to compare different species. I was really excited to see it included functionality for recording sightings & holding more than 1 list but it is still very clunky. It would be so much better if it could:
- quickly add a bird sighting to more than 1 list (eg local AND UK, or Year list AND Life List) rather than having to make separate entries
- keep a tally of total species seen, not just individual sightings. At present the same bird seen twice in different locations adds it as two sightings to your total. So if you are doing eg. My #200BirdYear you have to keep a separate tally elsewhere, which is frustrating.
If the app does allow these things, then it isn’t clear how to do them - I have looked in Settings but the option isn’t there. It would be a 5 Star app if it also offered these things which some other (even free) bird listing apps have.
Search by name of bird too fussy
Don’t get me wrong. I love this app. I haven’t needed the in-app purchases. Three birders have seen me use it in the field and decided they needed it too.
- Search by bird characteristics is incredibly powerful. Select what you see and where you are and this app narrows the options down very quickly.
- The bird song and call recordings included in the basic price. My warbler identification has come on in leaps and bounds. Definitely a benefit over the book!
- The comparison function (button at the bottom) allows you to compare up to 12 species. eg Stonechat v Whinchat v Redstart
- It is incredibly picky when searching for a bird by name. You must type it exactly to get a result. Type “Greater Spotted woodpecker” and nothing shows as it is “great spotted”. Miss out the hyphen in “Black-headed gull” and nothing shows. Some form of predictive search would help enormously.
- I miss those double-page spreads of waders in flight and raptors in flight. I now have them photographed from the book and stored on my phone as I use them often.
In-App PurchasesSee All
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- NatureGuides Ltd.
- 1.1 GB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Norwegian Bokmål, Swedish
- Age Rating
- © NatureGuides Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- BTO Atlas Maps Pack £1.99
- Video Library Volume 1 £5.99
- Video Library Volume 2 £8.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.