Boost single word listening and reading comprehension with Comprehension Toolbox. Try it for FREE!
Comprehension Toolbox is a professional speech therapy app. It works on reading and listening comprehension of single words (nouns and verbs).
It is designed for people with aphasia and moderate to severe or severe receptive language difficulties following a stroke or brain injury. It is also suitable for older children with special needs including autism.
WHAT SPEECH THERAPY ACTIVITIES ARE INCLUDED IN COMPREHENSION TOOLBOX?
Comprehension Toolbox has 3 parts.
Training: This comprehension activity is particularly helpful for people with aphasia and severe difficulties understanding spoken and written words. It can be done as a listening comprehension activity, a reading comprehension activity or both, depending on the mode chosen in Settings. The person with aphasia is shown two example pictures of the target word. They are then given a choice of 3 pictures and are asked to match the target word to the correct picture.
Photo Shuffle: This comprehension activity is spoken and/or written word to picture matching. The person with aphasia is required to match the spoken and/or written words to the pictures in the picture set (field size of 2-6 pictures). Having the pictures in a set gives the person with comprehension difficulties more time to learn and understand the words. They have more time to think and can benefit from a process of elimination when choosing a picture.
Word Match: This comprehension activity can be a reading exercise, a listening comprehension exercise or both. The person with aphasia is shown a large picture and a choice of 3 spoken and/or written words. They have to match the picture to the correct word (choice of 3).
WHO IS COMPREHENSION TOOLBOX FOR?
- Speech language pathologists / Speech language therapists
- Adults with moderate to severe or severe receptive aphasia after stroke or brain injury; impaired ability to understand spoken and/or single written words
- Adults with cognitive-communication difficulties due to stroke or brain injury
- Adults with visual attention difficulties following stroke or brain injury
- Children with autism and receptive language difficulties
CAN YOU CHANGE THE DIFFICULTY LEVEL OF THE COMPREHENSION THERAPY ACTIVITIES?
Comprehension Toolbox has 3 difficulty levels: Easy, Medium and Hard. You can adjust the difficulty level of each comprehension activity in Settings. You can also adjust the field size (2, 3, 4 or 6 pictures on screen) in the Photo Shuffle activity.
When a person with aphasia is given a spoken or written word, it is usually harder for them to match it to the correct picture if the options are semantically related or from the same category. The difficulty levels in Comprehension Toolbox are therefore based on whether or not the pictured items are from the same categories or different categories.
- Easy Level: The vocabulary items are from different categories
- Medium Level: At least one or half of the items are from the same category. The others are from different categories
- Hard Level: The vocabulary items are all from the same subcategory
Comprehension Toolbox allows you to
- Select from 3 different modes; listening comprehension therapy, reading comprehension therapy or both
- Try two word categories for free and purchase remaining categories in a single in-app purchase
- Easily select the categories or sub-categories of words you wish to include in practice or individual words if preferred
- Add individual user profiles
- Automatically track correct and incorrect scores of each user
- Receive audio feedback for correct answers only, incorrect answers only or both
- Email a results summary after a session or at a later date
- Adjust the difficulty level
Comprehension Toolbox has
- An easy to use design for people with aphasia and speech language pathologists
- Animations in each comprehension activity
- Over 2000 clear, high-quality photos of vocabulary items
Download Comprehension Toolbox now for FREE!
Minor bug fixes and improvements
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Aptus Speech and Language Therapy Limited
- 343.2 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 10.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © Aptus Speech & Language Therapy
- In-App Purchases
- Purchase All Categories £19.99
- Home & Garden £2.99
- Objects £0.99
- Food & Drink £2.99
- People Category £2.99
- Verbs £2.99
- Nature & Environment £1.99
- Leisure & Recreation £1.99
- Transportation & Around Town £0.99