The Concise Oxford English Dictionary is the most popular dictionary of its kind around the world and is noted for its clear definitions as well as its comprehensive and authoritative coverage of the vocabulary of the English-speaking world. It includes over 50,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, available in both British & American voice versions, including those with controversial or variant pronunciations.
LATEST APP UPDАТES:
• Learn in style with any of the four colorful new themes – the colorful layout will turn your learning experience into an enjoyable routine. Customize your dictionary and benefit from the cheerful mood your favorite color brings you.
• Dive right into the intricacies of the language - with a new and convenient Home page, sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches - you can now get to the desired entry faster than ever.
• Translate and learn as you speak with Talk & Translate – use this speech recognition & text-to-speech app by downloading it for Free from the App Store. The great synergy between the two apps will help you optimize your studies.
SEARCH TOOLS - quickly find words with the functional, clean and easy-to-use interface. Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience, the dictionary combines several search tools to match or predict what are you looking for, including:
• Search autocomplete helps you find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type.
• Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases.
• Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results in seconds.
• Voice search helps you find an entry using your speech.
• Automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ that corrects word spelling and a ‘Wild card’ that allows you to replace a letter or entire parts of a word with '*' or '?' when you don’t know how it`s spelled.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary. Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies, this dictionary combines several learning tools to help you be more organized:
• ‘Favorites’ that allow you to create custom folders with lists of words.
• Recent list which helps you to easily review looked-up words.
• Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
• Word-of-the-day option to teach you a new word every day.
Feel excited by the new word or definition you just learned? Share your discovery with friends on social media, email or any other option available on your device.
• iOS 12 Support
• Beautifully integrated for iPhone XS
• Bug fixes and performance improvement
Ratings and Reviews
Brilliant app no excuses for not understanding vocabulary now!
In my opinion this a brilliant app, as much as I love learning I find a book as big as a dictionary quite cumbersome, so this app is perfect for me, it’s so easy to use. The pronunciation facility where the word is spoken upon request is helpful to me and I could imagine it being really helpful for children or someone who’s first language is not English. Another great feature is being able to click on words that are in the definition should you need to look them up too, it then goes straight to that word. Being able to speak the word and it then look it up is very useful if you’re not sure of the spelling.
Very satisfied, thank you!
I actually preferred the layout of previous version however I am growing accustomed to this one. Nonetheless, it works well, offering a list of words as you type which usually allows you to select the word you want without having to type the whole word.
I also like the features of Word of the Day; recent look-ups and optionally you can get the Oxford translator which gives you access to 14 languages.
I am happy to give it 5 stars.
Oxford English Dictionary
A useful app, but not 100% complete - some words not recognised or entered, which can be frustrating when trying to do codewords and it doesn't/can't 'find' the word you're looking for! Other than that it's a useful tool for other games such as word ladder, scrabble/upwords/boggle.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.