* Choice of cursive style letter e.g. a choice of style of the letter r.
* Personalised feedback to tell kids which letters they are totally awesome at and which letters they could focus on practising.
* Practice of single letters in cursive style.
* The 100 most frequent words to try in cursive style.
* Multiple Players, useful to track the progress of siblings or of up to 10 players in a class.
* 'My Words', section where you could type in the weeks spellings to practice.
* A phonics based approach supporting the writing practice.
* Left / right handed adaptation
* You can also use Crazy Cursive to help learn a new language! Select from American English, UK English, French, German, Italian or Spanish words and phonics.
Your child can practice writing the top 100 words in cursive style and can also type in their own words to practice. Letters are sounded out phonetically to allow your child to develop skills of breaking down words which is particularly useful for children with Dyslexia.
Thank you to the Teachers, Children and Parents of Fairlawn School London for your support and feedback. Special thanks to Fairlawn Teachers for being inspiringly Crazy for Cursive!
10 Benefits of Teaching Cursive Handwriting
1.Relative ease in introducing cursive penmanship to preschoolers.
2.Prevents reversals and confusion of letters
3.Enhances spelling ability
4.Develops internal control systems that can be used as tool for learning
5.Potential for errors are diminished
6.Improved reading skills
7.Enforces the skills for patterns in reading and writing
8. Prevents erratic spaces between letters and words
9. Helps Left Handed Children
10.Use as a tool to put thoughts on paper quickly and easily
We should teach our children ‘Cursive First, Print Later’.
Source: Samuel L. Blumenfield, "How Should We Teach Our Children to Write? Cursive First, Print Later!"
The British Dyslexia association recommend that children learn the continuous cursive style. The cursive style has some significant advantages for Dyslexic students. The key advantages to this system are:
* By making each letter in one movement, children’s hands develop a ‘physical memory’ of it, making it easier to produce the correct shape;
* Because letters and words flow from left to right, children are less likely to reverse letters which are typically difficult (like b/d or p/q);
* There is a clearer distinction between capital letters and lower case;
* The continuous flow of writing ultimately improves speed and spelling.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
CrazyCursive App Review
Amazing app, really good!
One thing that could be improved for the letter writing would be letting you chose if you want to go onto more then one letter joined up instead of doing it automatically after you go of it, for example it goes straight to: aaa after you do: a. For people like me, I would want my child to practise the same single letter every day without having to go a change the settings everyday.
For people who haven't bought this app, defiantly buy it as it the best app I have ever got, I am just trying to make it even better than it already is.
Problems with functionality.
We are using this app to help my daughter with her handwriting skills and it’s pretty good. But we have encountered some functionality problems - we can’t delete user profiles (our preschooler added 5 of her own) and also can’t swap between users while still in the app (you need to quit and restart, which is annoying).
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback, this is a tricky one as we deliberately made it hard to delete users, as kids will be kids, and they have been known to delete other children's profiles. You cannot delete a user but you can change their name and then go into setting and reset progress. This is then effectively a new user. Hope this helps. Vicky
A really sweet app!
The characters are great, and its a great way to get children writing as they normally hate handwriting practice. Needs a big reward at the end though.
- madebyeducators Limited
- 62.3 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © MadeByEducators
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.