Negotiate water rights from scorpion gods in this necromantic legal thriller! Discredit your boss, solve murders, and reanimate your own corpse to keep your city from drying out.
“Deathless: The City’s Thirst" is a 150,000-word interactive novel by Max Gladstone, author of “Choice of the Deathless” and the "Craft Sequence" novels, nominated for the John W Campbell Best New Writer Award, the XYZZY award, and the Lambda Award. Your choices control the story. It's entirely text-based--without graphics or sound effects--and fueled by the vast, unstoppable power of your imagination.
You won the God Wars, killing the rain god and taking over his desert city. But now the city needs water, and it’s your job to make it rain. As a rising associate at a god-killing public service conglomerate, you can monopolize your city’s public utilities, or fight to keep water affordable for everyone. Build alliances with powerful necromancers, or help local farmers hold onto their land. Find love, or betray your friends. Overcome the trauma you suffered in the God Wars. Prevent murders, or commit them.
Just keep the water flowing.
• Play as male or female; straight, gay, or bi
• Match wits with master necromancers, real estate magnates, and journalists
• Climb the social ladder of Dresediel Lex
• Help the needy, or laugh callously as the world burns
• Drink with undead kings over the ruins of a destroyed civilization
• Kill people you may later really wish you hadn't killed
• Betray trusted friends and their entire society
• Fight giant scorpions and renegade priests—or join forces with them
• Look for love in extremely wrong places
Added support for iPhone X. If you enjoy playing "Deathless: The City's Thirst," please leave us a written review. It really helps!
Ratings and Reviews
Evocative, mysterious, and great fun
Like the other Gladstone Choice of Games game, I replay this every few years. I have a tough time picking a favourite. But I think the world of Dresediel Lex is tough to beat. Again, Gladstone writes in a spare, but beautiful style, and again you have choices and characters that intrigue you and draw you into their thankless world. I hope you enjoy this as much as I have.
Excellent piece of interactive fiction
Great story, compelling characters, tricky situations, lots of different outcomes, a real sense of moral ambiguity - and it's really well written too. Very much an interactive novel - the sort of story I'd want to read even if it was just straight text. Seriously, if you have even a passing interest in these sorts of games, you should invest in this.
- Choice of Games LLC
- 33.9 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2015 Max Gladstone
Challenge friends and check leaderboards and achievements.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.