Get the world's most comprehensive ad-free dictionary and thesaurus with extensive offline dictionary content and synonyms. Dictionary Pro is the premium version of The Free Dictionary app, featuring:
* No ads.
* A comprehensive English offline dictionary and offline thesaurus.
* Offline dictionaries in 13 other languages.
* Offline translations of English into more than 40 languages.
* Dozens of other offline translation options.
Rated #1 app in the App Store in the paid reference category in 109 countries 2011–2019 (Source: http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/app/492085918/app-ranking/#device=iphone&type=best-ranks)
Plus TheFreeDictionary's classic app content:
* Find every word you search for. Get results from trusted sources:
The American Heritage Dictionary
+ More than 100 dictionaries and encyclopedias from these top publishers:
Cambridge University Press
Columbia University Press
* Learn the word. Clear definitions, example sentences, etymologies, illustrations, and more.
* Learn how to say it. Play audio pronunciations and hear it pronounced.
* Learn something new. Word of the Day and other fresh daily content.
* Find the perfect synonym fast. East-to-use Thesaurus with synonyms, antonyms, and related words.
* Explore topics in-depth. Multiple specialty dictionaries and encyclopedias:
Acronyms and Abbreviations
* Watch idioms in action. View idioms videos inside the app and see idioms and slang explained.
* Play word games. Spelling Bee, Hangman, and more.
* Access dictionaries in 13 other languages, including:
What makes Dictionary Pro the most user-friendly dictionary app?
* Instantly look up words in apps or webpages! Just highlight the word you want to look up, tap "Share," then tap "More" in the bottom menu and turn on the "Define" option. You will then see a "Define" icon in the menu. Tap it to see the definition of the highlighted word!
* Voice search. Just say the word to look it up.
* Advanced Search options.
* Look up the definition of any word on the page. Just highlight and tap "Definition."
* Save bookmarks with one tap and sync them to all your devices.
* Customize your homepage: Move, add, or remove articles, games, even local weather.
* Jump to Definition, Thesaurus, or Translations with one button.
* Navigate the app in more than a dozen languages with the multilingual interface.
* Adjust font size.
* Share your favorite definitions and articles via social networks, email, or text.
* Earn meals for hungry children through The Free Dictionary's partnership with the World Food Program—just by using the app!
Read our reviews to see why our users say this is the best dictionary app they've ever used.
How do we do it?
Farlex is a leader in dictionary apps. We work with the best publishers to bring together trusted content in the most comprehensive, authoritative dictionary apps on the market. Find our other apps by searching "Dictionary by Farlex" in the App Store.
* For app developers: The Free Dictionary app can be accessed by other apps with API calls (Contact Farlex for instructions).
* Flashcards can now be viewed and even created offline!
* Easier access to all languages. When you want to access a word in another language that’s shown in the search suggestions, you can now slide the language flags to show all options.
* Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
As a person who tried all sorts of dictionaries over past few years, I would recommend this dictionary to anyone who likes to have one dictionary with multiple answers from variety of sources. I found this dictionary as best for my needs, it's very straight forward in use, the page is well designed, dictionary has a huge range of words and gives examples in contexts. On top of that application is very reliable.
I've had this app on my phone for a long time and use it a lot. It is reliable with some good features such as word & quote of the day plus holidays and word games that you can play. I am visually impaired so I like the fact that you can make the font large.
Overall, a very good, easy-to-use app which I would highly recommend.
A must-have app for lovers/users of the English language
Worth every penny and so much more. I use this app to quickly add any unfamiliar words to a saved list which I can then revisit at my convenience to gradually become more acquainted with. One great feature is that you can click to hear how it's pronounced in the UK and the US. Highly recommended.
- Farlex, Inc.
- 10.7 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Turkish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2019 Farlex, Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.