Avast! Take to the high seas in a fully interactive piratical story of broadsides and buccaneers. From author Dave Morris and the studio behind Steve Jackson's Sorcery! and 80 Days.
"Down Among the Dead Men" is a pirate adventure in which you are the hero. Play as a male or disguised female - as a magician, a thief, a pirate, a governor's daughter - and explore the high seas as you try to build up a crew and a ship hardy enough to take down to black-hearted pirate Skarvench and his ghoulish crew.
* "Inkle's gamebook engine is fantastic and they're finding some really high-quality writers to publish" - iMore.com
* "An enjoyable little thing to curl up with" - Touch Arcade (4/5)
* "Wonderfully well written... a rollicking good story of swashbuckling pirates, cannibalistic natives, and rum-drenched souses" - Pocket Gamer (Bronze award)
* "Down Among the Dead is a pirate themed gamebook that's quite delightful" - 148 Apps
Adapted from the original gamebook using the same inklewriter technology as Steve Jackson's Sorcery! and 80 Days, "Down Among the Dead Men" provides a fully adaptive text, that rewrites itself on the fly based on your decisions. Survive or fail, be bold or cowardly, lead or connive - the choices are up to you and every one is remembered.
Ratings and Reviews
A great little adventure
I'm a big fan of all of Inkle's games, and this is no exception. It's a great swashbuckling adventure that demands several playthroughs.
While it's not up to the level of their others (short, lacking sound effects), that can be excused by the low price point.
Game book ahoy!
This is much more of a pure game book than other offerings from Inkle and that suits me fine. The prose is very evocative of the swashbuckling setting and the rhythm of the choices keeps you really engaged. While some of these choices are probably more for colour than genuine branches in the narrative, there's enough to keep you on your toes... I'm enjoying the second section which sees you trying to stave off mutiny on board a small rowing board! Recommended - especially at the price - would love to see more like this!
A short, pleasant sail
It's perfectly okay as an adventure, but it's very short indeed compared to something like Sorcery or a Fighting Fantasy.
I played it through twice in a couple of days. There are a few choices on the way but ultimately you seem to end up with exactly the same results (I purposely tried to do the opposite actions the second time).
So a short boat trip at best and certainly not a swashbuckling epic.
- inkle Ltd
- 66.9 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- © 2014 Dave Morris and inkle Ltd
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.