A powerful, complete, and easy to use podcast player that will help you manage and listen to podcasts the way you want to.
Now with CarPlay support!
"Downcast: Probably The Best Podcast Downloader for iPad and iPhone" - Wired Gadget Lab
• Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
• Manually subscribe to podcasts via URL
• Download podcasts automatically
• Continue podcast downloads in the background*
• Browse and download older podcast episodes
• Auto-refresh podcast feeds
• Settings for auto-download and episode retention
• Import and export podcast feeds via OPML
• Import supported audio/video media files
• Support for password-protected podcasts
• Create and edit "smart" playlists
• View podcast details and episode show notes
• Rename podcast titles
iCloud Syncing with other iOS devices or Macs**
• Podcast subscriptions
• Episode information
• Video and audio AirPlay support
• .5x, 1x, 1.25x, 1.5x, 2x, 2.25x, 2.5x and 3x speed playback
• Chapters support for enhanced podcasts
• Stream episodes without downloading
• Playback control from external devices
• Bluetooth devices
• Headphone remote controls
• Devices connected via Lightning/dock connector
• View embedded images in podcast episodes
• Gesture support
• Sleep timer
• Google Cast™ Ready
For support, please search our support site at http://support.downcastapp.com or email us at email@example.com!
For the latest information about Downcast, please follow @downcastapp on Twitter!
* Per iOS restrictions
** iCloud syncing with Macs requires Downcast for Mac, which is a separate purchase from the Mac App Store
• Fixes sound effects
• Improved sorting by title when the title starts with a number
• Minor performance improvement
• Improves error message when episode fails to download due to an authentication failure
• Fixes issue with 'Show Password' button on the podcast settings view
Ratings and Reviews
This is my primary podcasting up for its power user features. I used to love it and swear by it as it was stable and allowed me to have fine grain control on all aspects of my podcasting experience.
Unfortunately, the app has become less stable and has not innovated in any way for quite some time. Other podcasting apps have been adding features and improvements to the UI. While the UI is functional here, it needs some redesign to bring it up with the current times. In terms of features, I'd like to see some form of podcast triage as Downcast is the app that occupies most space on my device with 6GB+ used due to the downloading of new episodes in the background. Although I can change new episode actions, the triage solution would work much better imo.
Also, while I’m grateful the developer has released an update (despite being minor) the fact that it literally took 1 year to do this tells you this app is not really being supported. If you’re new I’d look at an alternative for now
I must have tried every podcast app out there and believe me when I tell you you cannot do better than Downcast. People cry out for new features and gimmicks but Downcast offers the most solid range of features in any app. They are intuitive and sensibly selected and above all functional. They add value to your podcast listening experience. To try and add some balance to this review I have been trying to think of something I don’t like about the app or desperately want as a feature and truthfully I can’t think of one thing. So well done Downcast. Full marks for making the best podcast app on the planet.
Has got buggy of late...
... Downcast has become a bit buggy as of late. When I finish listening to a podcast and delete it, if there are no more podcasts to listen to, then the cell for that podcast moves to the empty section of the table. After that, when I tap a cell, the wrong podcast is shown. I also have a podcast that I get error for when trying to download new episodes (it'll stream fine) whereas other podcast apps seem to be able to download it ok. Also been experiencing intermittent crashes (which might have something to do with the bug in the podcasts table I mentioned above).
I'll have to move on to a different app due to these issues, but I've given you an in-app purchase tip before doing so, as I've had years of service from this app.
I'll be back when the bugs are fixed up.
- Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- 41.4 MB
Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010-2019 Jamawkinaw Enterprises LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Encouraging Tip £2.99
- Motivating Tip £5.99
- Inspiring Tip £11.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.