Learn to play 'In The Pocket' with Drummer ITP: The World's only intelligent metronome and rudiment training tool! *Worldwide Number 1 iPhone Music App in over 70 countries!*
Drummer ITP can help you to learn exceptionally accurate timing with your drum performances and become a true 'In The Pocket' player. The app is designed for practicing rudiment patterns with a drum practice pad - incorporating an intelligent listening feature, which allows your performance against a metronome click to be measured and given as feedback scores. You can therefore track your progress and identify what rudiment patterns and tempos cause you most trouble with staying in time.
*Please note: as with all professional audio and recording systems, Drummer ITP requires you to use wired headphones to enable zero latency analysis and measurements. Bluetooth headphones do not allow zero latency data exchange.
Drummer ITP helps to identify the key tempos where your technique changes from wrist-action stick hits to faster speeds which require you to control the bounce of the drumsticks. Finding your breaking points with different stick pad rudiments and practice exercises will enable you to focus on the most challenging aspects of your personal stick technique and will underpin your development in all areas of drumming.
The main display shows both the rolling click waveform and the microphone readings from your performance on the practice pad, so you can easily see if you are playing ahead or behind the beat. There is also a unique accuracy indicator which shows how far ahead or behind the beat each of your hits is. Whilst performing rudiments and exercises on a practice pad, the app records an ongoing measurement of accuracy and consistency of the performance, so you can practice to keep the timing indicator right in the middle of the screen and achieve the highest possible scores. When playing an accented pattern, or an exercise with rests incorporated, the intelligent algorithm checks that the correct type of hits are performed at the right time. If you want to check how accurate the app is, just turn up the loudspeaker volume and you'll see it measure its own sounds to 100% accuracy - so you can see how close your own performance scores are to that of an electronic drum machine!
Drummer ITP can be used in Manual Mode or Rudiment Mode. In Manual Mode the metronome runs freely, as a standard metronome whilst also keeping a measurement of the recent performance scores. With a rudiment pattern active (i.e. using the app's Rudiment Mode), a count in starts a 30, 60, 120 or 300 second rudiment test, the results of which become a benchmark for evaluating your performance progress over time, with all your best high scores being recorded. The app can also be used purely as a standalone high-precision metronome with advanced settings allowing you to choose different pitches, volumes and intervals for the click.
Includes a total of 68 practice patterns and rudiment exercises for combinations of:
- standard timing exercises (quarters, eighths, sixteenths)
- triplet timing exercises
- single, double and triple paradiddles (including inverted, reverse and offset)
- single and double paradiddle-diddle patterns
- rudimental drum rolls
- accented patterns
- notation of all included rudiments and exercise patterns
- real-time left/right hand pattern indicator
- accent indicator and moving notation counter
- tempo adjustment from 30-240 bpm
- beat time intervals 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
- optional beat one accent for practicing specific time signatures
- click designer with settings for pitch, tonality, click duration and volume
- separate click design for the main beat and interval sounds
- stick pad performance player, to hear what you are attempting to play
- high scores chart for completed rudiments and exercises
- preset click sounds
- microphone sensitivity adjustment
- intelligent 'learn latency' feature to ensure 100% accurate analysis
Minor user interface improvements and rebuilt using the latest iOS SDKs.
Ratings and Reviews
Great little app
A really handy practice aid which addresses a familiar issue for drummers practicing to a metronome: are you right on the beat and if not then fractionally ahead or behind?
Couple of bits of feedback. Unless I’m missing it there is no ‘screen always on’ option in the app’s settings. So to stop the screen switching off while using it we’d have to change our phones’ global settings, which we we probably don’t want to.
Also, in Info 3/9 paragraph 4 the wording is unclear as to the middle row of bars and whether they light up to left or right of centre to tell you if you’re behind or ahead of the beat. Easily fixable.
Developer Response ,
Hi GreyWethers - many thanks for posting this review, we really appreciate all comments and constructive feedback. We’ve just posted a free app update covering your suggestions and a few other enhancements too, so do update and we hope you are happy to see the improvements. (Ps, left is ahead of the beat, right indicates behind!)
This is really cool - I’ve always struggled using a metronome to know if I’m ahead or behind the click, and this makes it really obvious with the visual display. I also like the click feature that allows choosing the different note and volumes for the beat and intervals.
I bought this app recently as I’m really working on my rudiments and thought a visual representation of whether I’m rushing or dragging would help tune my internal clock. I’m certainly improving quickly and I think this app has a big part to do with that!
I’d say the user interface is a bit unintuitive at times but once you get to know the app it’s pretty straight forward!
A few additions I would like to see:
- Being able to have the rudiment mode analysis stuff run for longer than a minute.
- being able to adjust what factors are being analysed for instance when practicing paradiddles I don’t really want my dynamics analysed as I’m aiming to miss ghost notes and accents so am getting a lower overall rating for an area I’m not concerned with.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary based on, for example, the features you use or your age. Learn More
- RT Sixty Ltd
- 4.8 MB
- Requires iOS 13.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 13.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © RT Sixty Ltd
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.