The Encyclopedia of Arda is an indispensible reference guide to the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, based on the popular Website of the same name. The Encyclopedia contains around 4,000 individual entries, many with additional features such as maps, family trees and images.
Also included in the Encyclopedia are a selection of articles and reference guides, including a detailed lexicon and a guide to old and rare words used in Tolkien's works. The interactive Chronicle and Calendar let you explore the history of Middle-earth from its earliest times, and the Encyclopedia even contains detailed guides to the recent film versions of The Lord of the Rings.
- Search the Encyclopedia, choose from an A-Z index, or browse articles by topic. Each entry is rich in hypertext links, letting you freely explore the world of Middle-earth and beyond.
- Many entries provide their own factbox and timeline, along with maps, genealogical charts, and images.
- The interactive Chronicle of Arda lets you explore any period from Middle-earth's history. The Interactive Calendar lets you choose dates in any of seven different calendars and see which events took place on those dates.
- Language guides include a dictionary of old and rare words used by Tolkien, and also a lexicon explaining the origins of many names of characters and places in Elvish and other languages.
- The 'Excyclopedia' feature is an additional guide to less canonical topics, exploring concepts from Tolkien's earlier work, and related topics from other sources.
- This is a standalone app that works completely independently of the Encyclopedia of Arda Website; no Internet connection is required.
ABOUT THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ARDA:
The Encyclopedia of Arda has been a popular source of Tolkien lore on the Web since 1997. Visit the Encyclopedia of Arda site at http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/
The app includes reference information on more than 4,000 topics, including maps, charts and genealogies. Also included are detailed analyses of all three Lord of the Rings films, and also The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Movie guides for The Desolation of Smaug and There and Back Again will be released soon!
The Encyclopedia app was developed by Virtix Ltd: visit our Website at http://www.virtix.co.uk/
The Encyclopedia of Arda is not an official reference work.
If you'd like to help us develop and improve the Encyclopedia of Arda app, why not take a few minutes to leave us your comments on iTunes?
iPhone or iPod Touch and above
Addresses an issue that prevented some users from viewing downloaded maps or images under the latest version of iOS.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
As a 22yr old Tolkien fanatic I have been using this Encyclopaedia for years and the now the App is just so excellent to have!! It is very informative and I recommend it to any starting out with Tolkien. I started at 7 (with the films of LOTR) and then read all Tolkien's works at 12.
Use this it's amazing ESPECIALLY the maps !
Encyclopaedia of Arda
Superb app. I’ve been reading and rereading Tolkien’s middle of earth stories for 40 years and find this app a great means of filling those little gaps and refreshing names, places and times.
One happy obsessed fan!
Encarda is superb! I have read Tolkien many times, but still get lost with so many character names and variations. This guide sorts them out and gives sufficient information to illuminate the books. Of special merit are the detailed maps and to have large scale detailed maps at your finger tip when reading Is a huge bonus. My only concern is the quality of the pictorial illustrations which could be better.
This app is brilliant and such good value!
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Virtix Ltd
- 99 MB
Requires iOS 12.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- © Copyright Virtix Limited 2019
- In-App Purchases
- Annual Update Subscription £1.99
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.