Be together whenever with a simple way to text, video chat and rally the group.
* SEND A MESSAGE -Skip exchanging phone numbers, just send a message. It's seamless across devices.
* CUT DOWN GLARE WITH DARK MODE. Dark mode is a sleek new look that goes easy on the eyes by switching the background from white to black.
* SHOW YOUR REACTION - Add a silly sticker, send a dancing GIF and use emojis to express yourself better.
* SHARE PHOTOS AND VIDEOS - Capture the moment with the Messenger Camera, add a filter or doodle, then send to friends or share to Stories.
* RALLY THE GROUP - Make plans to get together with polls, share your location, split the bill and more.
* HOP ON A CALL OR VIDEO CHAT - Hang out anywhere, anytime by getting on call or a group video** chat — filters optional :) **Calls are free over Wi-Fi but otherwise standard data charges apply.
* SEND A VOICE MESSAGE - When text just won't cut it, just hit record and send say, sing or shout it out loud.
* SEND MONEY SECURELY AND EASILY (within US, UK and France only) - Send and receive money from friends in the app by adding your debit card or PayPal* account. *PayPal available in the US only.
* SHARE YOUR LOCATION - Suggest a meeting spot or tell friends where you are by sharing your location with just a few taps.
* CHAT WITH BUSINESSES - Easily connect with your favorite businesses to make reservations, get customer support, find deals and more.
* PLAY GAMES WITH FRIENDS - Challenge friends, climb leaderboards, and discover your next gaming obsession.
In this update, you can now see your friends' Messenger Stories right inside your chat thread, and they can see yours, too! Messenger wants you to build better, more meaningful conversations with your friends and family.
Ratings and Reviews
Updates do not improve functionality
Every update that comes with messenger makes me wonder “does it really improve my experience as a user”. Years ago I blindly updated everything believing that this was truly the case. But then the greed for advertising revenue and a drive towards users’ greater engagement made Facebook introduce updates that made it deliberately harder for users to do certain functions like ‘deleting a conversation’. Initially it was as easy as the WhatsApp function ‘swipe from right’ and delete in one swift motion. Consider the number of steps you have to do now to do the same? 1. Hotkey the message 2. Confirm if you want to delete or archive (half of the time your thumb accidentally pushes on the wrong msg). Facebook will claim this is done to make sure that people don’t delete messages by mistake, but that’s - as we all know - a load of crap! So to all of you out there - heed the warning, don’t trust the updates blindly.
Dreadfully glitchy and unreliable
Of all the apps I have EVER used this is by far the one that contains the most issues. Despite regular updates the reliability issues of this app just never seem to want to go away. And especially with this latest update that has resulted in the app being slower and it freezes and and crashes endlessly. Virtually endlessly!! I can barely type a few messages before it all of a sudden freezes! ESPECIALLY when I switch between letters, emojis and also click to select a gif 😡.And finally, there have been numerous occasions when my messages and even articles I have shared don’t appear when I send them 😡...I always update in the hopes that the previous reliability issues will disappear only to be confronted by an app that’s even worse!! For goodness sakes, fix the app and make its operation nice, smooth and reliable! What on Earth where you thinking with the last update? I wish I hadn’t updated it now. Please update this app and focus on the glitches and reliability issues to finally make it work properly. Meanwhile, I will look to find a decent a app to replace this one. Hopefully someone is taking notes and will give this app the update it so desperately needs....
Incessant Update Prompts
Even though the older versions are still compatible with the rest of the messenger system, the app will not stop interrupting the user to prompt them to update. These updates mostly do not offer fixes, but simply new features.
Frankly I don't want to update, because to anyone critically examining this tech custom can see that each update (of OS or apps) increases the performance requirements of the device, thereby eroding your user experience with your well-earned device until it will soon be obsolete, forcing you to continue purchasing the latest machines spawned from Apple’s post-Jobs creative desert which with each iteration seem to lose yet another useful feature, forcing you to buy auxiliary accessories that were once unnecessary.
Facebook, like all these consumer software providers, along with the consumer hardware producers, are all complicit in this never-ending, environmentally destructive smartphone merry-go-round that wastes consumers money and costs the planet. So no, this app, like all of them that endlessly peddle forced updates, deserve a 1 star rating for this tech scandal.
- Facebook, Inc.
- 284.1 MB
- Social Networking
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
English, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Simulated Gambling
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © Facebook, Inc.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.