Steve Jackson and Tin Man Games present Starship Traveller - an adventure of the far future in which YOU are the hero!
Sucked through the appalling nightmare of the Seltsian Void, the starship Traveller emerges at the other side of the black hole into an unknown universe. YOU are the captain of the Traveller, and her fate lies in your hands. Will you be able to discover the way back to Earth from the alien peoples and planets you encounter, or will you and your crew be doomed to roam uncharted space forever?
** REVIEWS **
"The original gamebook has been beautifully revived, and now stands shoulder-to-shoulder with its sci-fi peers across all entertainment media." - POCKET GAMER - 9 out of 10 - Gold Award!
"It's interesting because in the increasingly large mobile gamebook scene, I find Starship Traveller stands out for exactly the same reasons it did 30 (oh my, is it really 30?) years ago. We've got lots of fantasy books, some horror books, a few modern books, but this energetic take on classic sci-fi is a breath of fresh air..." - TOUCH ARCADE - 4.5 out of 5!
"...it’s a no brainer of a purchase – especially for Sci-Fi fans." - 148 APPS - 4 out of 5!
** FEATURES **
• Fully customize your entire crew, from their names, their stats - and even rename your starship!
• Three styles of combat: melee, phaser and even starship battles!
• Switch around your crew before each battle round for added strategy during combat!
• Beam down to strange alien planets, selecting your finest crew for the job!
• Auto-mapping charts your travels through the cosmos! New planets and stars appear as you discover them!
• All-new full colour illustrations by Simon Lissaman, with a space-age cover by Dan Maxwell.
• Achievements to find throughout the gamebook.
Starship Traveller has been created using Tin Man Games’ critically acclaimed Gamebook Adventures Engine featuring:
• Read the book horizontally or vertically on your tablet.
• An automated Adventure Sheet to keep track of stats and inventory.
• Realistic physics based dice rolling. Shake your device!
• Artwork gallery. Find an illustration in the gamebook and be able to access it full-screen forever.
• Bookmarking system which saves your position in the gamebook, much like putting your fingers between the pages to remember your previous page when reading the paperback!
• Specially composed soundtrack and sound effects.
Tin Man Games have signed a licensing deal to release the Fighting Fantasy series on iOS, so expect to see more of your favourite adventure gamebooks appearing soon!
Also available: The Forest of Doom, Island of the Lizard King, House of Hell, Starship Traveller, Blood of the Zombies and Bloodbones!
Coming Soon: The Warlock of Firetop Mountain!
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Minor Bug Fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Tin man games continue with their updating of classic fighting fantasy games for the tablet generation with Starship Traveller. This is just as impressive as the previous releases with some new and fun features suited to the style of this particular book. The new graphics are fantastic and the option to name your crew is great. I've only played the game itself briefly but am finding it as tricky as ever. This game will certainly keep me occupied for days to come.
Keep these great conversions coming!
A good adaptation which improves on the original book
This is a great app port of a classic fighting fantasy gamebook by Tinman who are working through the catalogue at a nice rate. These gamebook apps are a nice way to discover or rediscover the books and have the advantage of being a lot easier to play on the move.
The book itself was the first science fiction in the series and I remember playing it through many times as a kid to find the coordinates. You will probably still have to play it through several times to win as the coordinates are as elusive as ever.
The book doesn't have that great a reputation and certainly had several flaws. However, many are solved by the app-rolling up your ship and crew can be done far more quickly, the various confusing battle methods are automatically processed and there is an auto map so you can work out where you've not explored (although it would be nice if there was a way to maintain a master map showing previous attempts). The new art is fresh, the interface looks great and the music sets a good atmosphere. Bookmarking and a free read setting take some of the pain out of replaying as you can save at branch points and try the alternatives without forgetting what your status was.
Other problems in the book remain-the encounters are too short and become repetitive after multiple attempts and the mission abruptly stops just as you're getting going. These were problems with the book and couldn't be solved without a rewrite. However, there are still plenty of great ideas here and the first time you visit each planet is fun. It's well worth downloading and will occupy quite a few hours.
I've got this book in my FF collection and immediately bought this App. It keeps crashing every time I try to play it! Very frustrating. I have a high enough OS of 6 and even after reinstalling it, it still crashes! Will there be an update or patch to remedy this? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Tin Man Games Pty Ltd
- 195.2 MB
Requires iOS 6.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2014 Tin Man Games Pty. Ltd.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.