Nostalgia overload! Fighting Fantasy returns with Ian Livingstone's classic, The Forest of Doom.
Take part in one of the classic gamebook experiences that introduced a whole generation to fantasy role-playing games! Computer gaming was in its infancy and it was the early days of tabletop RPGs when The Forest of Doom exploded into bookshops in the early 80s, proudly displaying Iain McCaig's iconic cover.
You can relive the adventures in Darkwood Forest on your iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad, lovingly updated for digital devices. Presented in full colour with realistic physics-based dice rolling for battles, auto-mapping, an auto-updated adventure sheet and stat keeping.
** REVIEWS **
“It’s the kind of experience that reminds one what fun interactive fiction can be, as well as making the promise of new Fighting Fantasy titles from Tin Man Games soon, all the more exciting.” - 148 APPS - 4.5/5 - EDITOR'S CHOICE!
“Given that Tin Man Games’s previous two efforts were quite similar in tone, the change of scenery in The Forest of Doom is very welcome indeed. It’s also encouraging to see the developer adding content to its already-robust Gamebook engine – you now have an auto-map, which records your progress and makes your choices that little bit easier.” - POCKET GAMER - 9/10 - GOLD AWARD!
“This is a beautiful, wonderful adaptation of the classic book. It has every bell and whistle you could ask for in terms of making the experience of playing Forest of Doom as enjoyable as possible. If you’re here looking for the book on your iOS device, look no further. This is what you want. If you’re a fan of game books but don’t know this one at all, I give it a hearty recommendation. This is one of the classics of the genre and it has been given the usual royal treatment from the developer.” - TOUCH ARCADE - 4/5
“Tin Man Games has done a great job of bringing this classic story to iOS, and for us choose-your-own-adventure geeks it’s great to have on our phones or tablets.” - SLIDE TO PLAY - 4/4
** FEATURES **
• Make the gamebook as easy or hard as you like and even turn on a special cheat mode to read it old-school!
• Atmospheric new visuals which can be turned off to make the gamebook look like it came off the printing press in the 80s!
• NEW Auto-mapping! Never get lost in Darkwood Forest.
• Iain McCaig's famous cover animated and brought to life.
• Malcolm Barter's classic illustrations colorised for the app, making full use of the high-resolution retina displays.
• Fantastic new cover artwork to unlock!
• Achievements to find throughout the gamebook with full Game Center connectivity.
The Forest of Doom has been brought to iOS using Tin Man Games’ critically acclaimed Gamebook Adventures Engine featuring:
• Universal iOS support. Buy the app once and it works on all your devices!
• Read the book horizontally or vertically on your iPad.
• An automated Adventure Sheet to keep track of stats and inventory.
• Realistic physics based dice rolling. Shake your iOS device!
• Artwork gallery. Find an illustration in the gamebook and be able to access it full-screen forever.
• Bookmarking system which saves your position in the gamebook, much like putting your fingers between the pages to remember your previous page when reading the paperback!
• Specially composed soundtrack and sound effects.
Writer, Ian Livingstone, was one of the co-founders of Games Workshop and has continued to have a distinguished career in both tabletop gaming and video games. He is currently the Life President of Eidos, recently overseeing the release of the latest Tomb Raider game.
Cover artist, Iain McCaig, has an extensive print and film portfolio, and is probably best known for designing Padmé Amidala and Darth Maul for The Phantom Menace!
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
Minor Bug Fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Great game, nice app
"so kids anyone fancy playing a thirty year old adventure book as an iPad app?"
And the answer, well no of course, at least to begin with but it wasn't long before we were all playing along. Flashes of my childhood came flooding back as I shared the adventure with my own children. At times I could even remember what was going to happen next!
The story itself was the first Fighting Fantasy book to come out of the limits of a cave structure or citadel lending it a genuine sense of scale. It moves at a fair pace and there are many encounters to be had along the way.
Although the game contains a map, which is in itself a great addition, you will find that you will have to make your own to piece the whole adventure together.
The app itself works brilliantly with well designed features and the recoloured artwork was a nice touch.
More, more , more please.
I still have my first edition 1980's book print of this and this version is exactly how to modernise a classic from game book to digital format. Oh not to mention anyone reading this review if you think this app is amazing wait till you see 'Warlock of firetop mountain' I hope they can update citadel of chaos and city of thieves!
I was 7 when the books first came out. I gave to say that playing this on the iPad brings back the memories. The retro option is great and it feels just the same as when I was a kid!
Please bring out some more!
- Tin Man Games Pty Ltd
- 272.6 MB
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- © 2013 Tin Man Games Pty. Ltd.
Up to six family members will be able to use this app with Family Sharing enabled.